1753808 Members
7996 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replacing A "Predictive Failure" State Disk

MuriloAssis

Replacing A "Predictive Failure" State Disk

Hello everyone,

I have a Proliant Server running a P420i controller with two disks with the configuration below:

- Port 1I - Box 2 - Bay 1: 300 GB

- Port 2I - Box 2 - Bay 5: 600 GB 

-- SAS Array A;

--- Logical Drive 1 (80 GB, RAID 1)

--- Logical Drive 2 (398,7 GB, RAIC 0)

The 600 GB disk has entered predictive failure state recently. This server is the main Domain Controller for Windows Active Directory, with other key services running (DNS, DHCP etc.) and is also the file server, meaning that I cannot afford to lose this server, at least for now (it is a ten year old server that I'm looking to replace soon, but I still have to convince my superiors).

I had a spare hard drive which I've installed on the Port 2I - Box 2 - Bay 6 (right below the one with error) and set it as Active Spare in HP Array Configuration Utility, but I don't know if this is the correct proccess (probably not), as it is only shown as Active Spare but it doesn't seems to be really active.

So, what should I really do now? Is there a way to copy all the data from the failing disk to the new one and set this new disk as fully operational and remove the failing one?

Thank you for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
Kashyap02
HPE Pro

what is the RAID configured on the HDDs?

How many HDDs are in SAS Array A ?

can you share us the ADU report ?

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

@MuriloAssis 

Provide the above requested details.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo