108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing Failed Drive in ML 370 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Bosnich
Occasional Contributor

Replacing Failed Drive in ML 370 G3

I have to replace a failed drive in an ML 370 G3 and would like to know the best way to do this. There are 3 x 36 GB U320 drives and drive 0 is showing red on the status light, drives 1 & 2 are both green. The configuration is Raid 5 via a Smart Array 641. I am running Netware 5.1 (sp7) on the server. The o/s was installed using the Manual Smart Start path and I did not install any additional Compaq utilities. So far, I have received two messages on the server console: "CPQRAID - The physical drive with SCSI ID 0 attached to port 1 of controller in Slot 4 has failed." and "CPQRAID - The HP Smart Array 641 Slot 4 ID 0 LUN 0 device is now operating in interim recovery mode."
Can I replace the drive on-line or do I need to down the server, replace the drive and let the array rebuild on boot up?
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Bill:

Though I have never done it in Netware, I replace drives all the time. Just hot swap them. The drive should automatically start rebuilding. You can tell it is rebuilding by the little blinking green arrow. When it stops, it is finished and you should get a status message.

If you wanted to be on the safe side, you sould down the server to the bear minimum and swap the drive then.

I'd probably do a quick backup too just to cover your butt some.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

ML 370 G3 have hot-pluggable SCSI drives,
you can replace drive online and SmartArray will start rebuild.

It is good idea to update Proliant support pack
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24535.html
and server/SmartArray firmware
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/32_4307.html
from time to time, but do it only after SmartArray will complete RAID-5 rebuild.
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

I totally agree with Igor and Steven, there is really nothing much to do, take a backup as a precaution and go with the support pack update and replace the disk online the array should rebuild without any problem.
Evil Has Its Winning Ways