108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Replacing HD on ML350 w/ RAID5

SOLVED
Go to solution
M├бrio Cortez

Replacing HD on ML350 w/ RAID5

Hi,
I have a ML350 with RIAD 5, running Windows SBS 2000, with 3 HD 18,2Gb each.
I want to upgrade disks to 72 Gb each (minimum).
Will it be as simple as replacing one at a time, so RAID rebuild the new disk info for 1st disk, then repeat same steps for 2nd and 3rd?
3 REPLIES 3
Paul_479
Occasional Contributor

Re: Replacing HD on ML350 w/ RAID5

Sorry Mario,

But when i went to school if you wanted to enlarge a raid 5 set it would involve breaking it (and i beleive it to be the same case now but you may wish to clarify further.)
(Based on the assumption you are using windows)

i beleive, you will need to make a full backup, remove the old 18.2s replace them with the 72s then reconfigure the array with the new disks in the server.
Rebuild your os add on your prefered backup software then restore it all back...

(oh and keep the old disks safe..!!)

yours
Paul
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Mario,
>>Will it be as simple as replacing one at a time, so RAID rebuild the new disk info for 1st disk, then repeat same steps for 2nd and 3rd?

You can do it (I assume you use hardware RAID-5 with SmartArray controller, right ?)
But you need to use diskpart utility in order to extend your logical disk and if you have only one logical disk C:\ - you have problem here, because you cannot extend system/boot disk with diskpart. But you will be able to create new logical disk on free unallocated space
"How to use Diskpart.exe to extend a data volume in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows 2000"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590/en-us

Probably "backup/change disks/restore" method (as Paul write) will be best for you.
M├бrio Cortez

Thank you Igor for your answer.

>>(I assume you use hardware RAID-5 with SmartArray controller, right ?)
- Right, Im using Smart Array 532, one logical disk, with 3 partitions, or logical disks: C (system), plus D and F. Maybe ill create a new logical disk, with new free space, to store all the info from the old ones (D, F), and then reorganize the info from other local drives.

>>Probably "backup/change disks/restore" method (as Paul write) will be best for you.
- For sure, a backup of all the info will be done before the operation, as i learned first time i went to school...

Thanks for the tips.