3405 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replacing HP P410 with P420 and keeping the data

Ashkan_1
Advisor

Replacing HP P410 with P420 and keeping the data

hi

Would it be possible to replace HP P410 raid card with a HP P420 raid card while keeping the data?

because my hp p410 is fault. and i can not find  new p410  . i can buy p420.

my server is DL380 G7.

thx

3 REPLIES 3
Nestorov
HPE Pro

Hi,

yes, technically all smart array controllers are compatible and the data for the logical drive configuration is stored both on the hard disks and the smart array controller, so you can upgrade the controller in this way. The new controller would be able to read the config info and read the data from the disks.

refernce on the topic:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04111534 

on p.2 under the section "The Smart Array Advantage" you can find the "data compatibility" segment which also confirms my statement.

I take it the p410 is the onboard controller you had? and you want to add a PCIe p420. Bear in mind you need to have a cache module and capacitor on the p420 and you cannot use those from the p410!

if you don't know them already 2 of the available options:

HP Smart Array P420/1GB FBWC 6Gb 2-ports Int SAS Controller 631670-B21

HP Smart Array P420/2GB FBWC 6Gb 2-ports Int SAS Controller 631671-B21

Another consideration would be of course to make a back up if possible (in your case you should have one as obviously your p410 is faulty).

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

I work for HP
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hello Ashkan_1,

HP appreciates your business.  According to page 30 of the HP QuickSpecs for the HP ProLiant DL380 Gen7 the HP Storage controllers compatible with the HP ProLiant DL380 Gen7 server are the HP Smart Array P410/256 2-ports Int PCIe x8 SAS Controller (462862-B21), HP Smart Array P410/512 BBWC 2-ports Int PCIe x8 SAS Controller (462864-B21), HP Smart Array P410/512 FBWC 2-ports Int PCIe x8 SAS Controller (578230-B21), and the HP Smart Array P410/1G FBWC 2-ports Int PCIe x8 SAS Controller (572532-B21), which all are available for purchase directly through the HP Small and Medium Business Store web site.  You also may benefit from talking to an HP Server expert to get more information on HP Smart Arrays, I am happy to connect you with if you choose, please let me know.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Nestorov wrote:

Hi,

yes, technically all smart array controllers are compatible and the data for the logical drive configuration is stored both on the hard disks and the smart array controller, so you can upgrade the controller in this way. The new controller would be able to read the config info and read the data from the disks.

The array information is stored in the RIS (RAID Information Sector) on each disk configred in the array(s). There is no array information stored in the controller

As you've already stated, you can move the disks from the P410 to the P420 without losing data.  The only caveat to this rule is the controller you moving to must have the same or newer firmware.

As always, the disclaimer: whenever making changes with drives, make sure you have a good backup of your data

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!