1752458 Members
6269 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replacing P440ar controller that has bad cache

sulleymonster
Occasional Advisor

Replacing P440ar controller that has bad cache

I have another ML350 Gen with a P440ar controller in it. I'm thinking I should be able to replace the controller and it should detect the array with no issues. The replacement controller has a newer firmware. My question is here something I should do to the replacement controller to make sure the cache is clean or doesn't have any existing settings?

I'm also thinking to leave the battery off the controller during the first boot. Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@sulleymonster wrote:

I have another ML350 Gen with a P440ar controller in it. I'm thinking I should be able to replace the controller and it should detect the array with no issues. The replacement controller has a newer firmware. My question is here something I should do to the replacement controller to make sure the cache is clean or doesn't have any existing settings?

I'm also thinking to leave the battery off the controller during the first boot. Thoughts?

If the machine the replacement controller is in was shut down cleanly, there should be no information stuck in the cache.  You can also go into SSA and clear the current configuration so there isn't any traces of old arrays before removing the controller.  (also assuming the system currently hosting the replacment doesn't have any array data you need to save)

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
sulleymonster
Occasional Advisor

The replacement system is just a old test system. When I pull the drives I don't have the option to clear the configuration. Can you only do this when the card detects drives?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

just install the controller an ALL disks while the server is powered off.

The disks will vote over the controller

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!