108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing SAS RAID Controller ML150 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Rappaport
Occasional Contributor

Replacing SAS RAID Controller ML150 G3

I have an ML150 G3 with some hardware issues. I have 2 drives in a RAID1 array.
I have an identical spare ML150 G3.
I want to move just the 2 drives to the spare server. Will the PCI-X SAS RAID Controller (435709-001) in these servers allow me to seamlessly move the drives over and automatically pick up the array config off the drives or will it present me with a message that I will have to respond to? I don't want to move the old RAID controller with the drives - I want to use the one that already exists in the spare server and I don't want to wipe the drives.
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Davenport
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Steve,

The raid controller will automatically detect the raid table on the disks when you swap them over and will give you the option to use it. Also worth making sure the firmware on the new controller is the same as the old one.
As always ensure that you have a FULL backup before starting as things can and do go wrong.
Steve Rappaport
Occasional Contributor

Glad to see this. Thank you.
Steve Rappaport
Occasional Contributor

I moved the drives to the new server with the new RAID controller. I went into the Controller BIOS and it saw the existing RAID1 array on the drives and it was marked as Inactive. I had to just mark as Active and reboot. Windows booted up fine on the new server after that. It also performed an online rebuild of the array.
Thanks.