6814 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replacing SAS drives to SSD drive on Proliant DL360p servers

arlem
Visitor

Replacing SAS drives to SSD drive on Proliant DL360p servers

Hello,
One of my HP DL360P servers will be upgraded with SSD drives. I have two arrays. The first one use raid 1 for the operating system. The second array uses RAID 1+0 on 6 drives. I want to replace the second array with larger and faster SSD drives. My question is very simple. Can i disable the second array and replace the drive with SSD while the machine is running, or do I have to shutdown the machine, replace the drives and then configure them in the Smart Storage Administrator? Sorry if my question seems stupid but since I haven't done this on an HP server with a Smart Array P420i, I prefer to ask first in case I am missing something. Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
krasinka1409
HPE Pro

Re: Replacing SAS drives to SSD drive on Proliant DL360p servers

Hello, 

There is no clear documentation, if deisabling the logical drive will safe the data even if the drives of this array are removed during opration. 

My recommendation is to disable the array, shut down the server, replace the drives with SSDs, start and configure the new SSD array. Only in case you wish to save the data on sas drives of cours. Otherwise (if data is no longer needed) you may simply remove the SAS HDDs and install the SSD while server in production. 

Thank you
I am an HPE Employee