Did you mean: 

Replacing SCSI HDD

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fendy_1
Occasional Advisor

Replacing SCSI HDD

Hello everyone,

I have a DL380 G4 HP server and one of the SCSI HDD has failed. I checked in the ADU, it says please replace the drive when permit. I couldn't save the log as it needs floppy disk which I don't quite have it. Or is there any other way for me to save the log file?

Anyway, my broken HDD is 72.8GB and I called local HP reseller trying to get the same drive which they said no longer selling. So my only option now is to get the 146.8GB.

I've been browsing thoroughly in this forum for past topics that related to this problem and find few solution to install the drive.

Please correct me if this step is wrong.

1) Get the new HDD 146.8GB

2) Without shutting down my server, I take out the broken 72.8GB drive and hot swap it with the new drive. In one of the past posts said that I could wait couple of minutes in between swapping.

3) It will soon start to rebuild the new drive, which may take half of a day to finish.

4) The remaning space on the new drive, I can either use ACU to create new logical drive and use Windows Disc Management to create new partition.

Would this work?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Kind regards,
Fendy
6 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Replacing SCSI HDD

hi

yes put the bad one out and put the new one no need to wait minutes just once you take the HDD bad put the new one in and it will start the rebuild process which takes 10-15 min per GB

now
""4) The remaining space on the new drive, I can either use ACU to create new logical drive and use Windows Disc Management to create new partition.""

no impossible, the 146 GB HDD will use the same space as your 72 GB and you can not use the other space, 146 is backward compatible and the other GBs will be wasted

don't your server has warranty? so you cna call HP and they will give you a 72 GB HDD..

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Fendy_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Karlo,

Thank you replying to my post.

Regarding the warranty, the purchasing department of my company told that it has expired.

The server is now moving to its 3rd year old of service.

Best regards,
Fendy
Fendy_1
Occasional Advisor

Oh yes, there's something else I would like to ask.

Let say now, I replace my 72GB with 146GB. And it starts to rebuild successfully.

My question is, what if in the future I would like to replace the current working 72GB to 146GB so that it will pair with my existing 146GB.

Can I see and use the remaining HDD space, since both already 146GB?

Thanks.

Fendy
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

""My question is, what if in the future I would like to replace the current working 72GB to 146GB so that it will pair with my existing 146GB.""

-> yes you can replace the other in the future

"Can I see and use the remaining HDD space, since both already 146GB?"

yes you will have to option to extend that space

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Fendy_1
Occasional Advisor

Great!

I just found out another local HP reseller selling 72GB HDD. Gonna buy it sometime today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your answer Karlo.

You have been a great help.

Regards,
Fendy
Fendy_1
Occasional Advisor

I follow as suggested and it worked.