New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing a Dual Port with Single Port drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
pj_11
Super Advisor

Replacing a Dual Port with Single Port drive

Hello All,

Can i replace a DP drive with a SP drive.
The drive is the same size and RPM/Speed.
I have a failed DP drive on a DL580 G5.

Thanks

PJ
4 REPLIES 4
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Mmmm, I thought that sas drives were allways dual port and sata single. Are you trying to replace a sas with a sata drive? Because I don't think this will work.
RPM speed is not an issue. Atleast it never was with SCSI. OK you'll lose a bit of speed but it allways worked as long as the disk capacity was high enough.
Some more info about the hardware/setup would be usefull. I assume you are using the P400 raid controller. (But for all I know you could be taking about ZFS Raidz)
Saberus
Valued Contributor
Solution

SAS has both single and dual port drives.

You can use a single port to replace a dual port, but the array may run into issues.

If you are using the Smart Array P400 controller, single or dual will not matter, the P400 runs in single port mode only, IIRC.

The P410 controller does run dual port mode, but if one drive in the array is SP, the rest of the array may step down to single port mode.
pj_11
Super Advisor

Hi Saberus,

Yes i have a P400 so that answers my question many thanks.

PJ
Morhaf

Thanks, it helped me alot,

i have a P400 controller also but after i replaced a single port with a dual port hard drive, i had the following msg while trying to recover the data

IBM secure data Disposal utility 2.0
IBM Remote Deployment Manager 4.1
Data and time of execution ... 09/19/09 12:46:10
Command executed ...... W:\MODELID\SCRUB3.EXE /D=ALL /L=2
Return code .............. 0

And the whole hard drives are flashing green but nothing is happen i left it more than 8 hours and still the same msg.