108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing array accelerator batteries

SOLVED
Go to solution
JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

Replacing array accelerator batteries

I have searched and searched and cannot find any instructions or diagrams that show how to change the array accelerator batteries on ProLiant ML530. So I hope someone here can provide a link or instructions on how to do this.

Jonathan

12 REPLIES 12
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

ML530 G1 or G2?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

Sorry I forgot to specify that. It's a G1.

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

If its what the server came with I'm guessing that it 'll be a 5300 Smart Array Controller.
The batteries on these are just clipped onto the back of the memory cache module.
4 small plastic clips, push out the 2 that go through holes in the mem module first, the other two should clip over the top of the module.
Quite easy to do...

Thanks
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

You made it easy with you explanation. Thanks! However that didn't fix my problem. I put in the new batteries last night and this morning HP System Management still says the batteries need replacing. So I'm wondering if the board the batteries clip onto is bad and so they aren't getting charged. I can't think of anything else and I don't know of any way to test things out otherwise.

Jonathan

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Hi again,

There was a known problem with those older controllers running old versions of firmware where the controller would do this, ie falsely report that the batteries had failed when they actually hadnt.

Try updating the firmware of the controller....

Easiest way is with an 'online' update, ie you can run it in Windows then reboot for it to take effect.

Find it here...(you'll need to pick your operating system first)

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=3285469&lang=en&lang=en&cc=uk&cc=uk&ac.admitted=1345731298530.876444892.199480143

Latest version looks like 3.54

Thanks

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

That's a good idea, I just checked and although it's at 3.54, it's Rev A and Rev C is the latest. So I'm going to try that and see if that works. Thanks for the idea!

Jonathan
JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

I installed the firmware from the website and it hasn't helped. In fact when I went to install it, it said it was the same as what was already installed though it let me install it anyway.

So I'm really thinking now that the board the batteries clip onto (that's the accelerator right?) is bad and isn't charging the batteries or relaying their true condition.

Actually the only reason I'm doing this is because everytime I reboot the server, someone has to be there to press F1 since there's a hardware error, the system wants you to know there is and halts the boot process so you'll look at the monitor. I don't have a RILO in it so I can't remote into it to do it myself. It's a real pain.

Is there any way to turn this notice off in the post so it will finish booting without something pressing F1?

Jonathan

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor
Solution

Ahh, thats a shame...

The board that the battery fits to is the cache in BBWC (Battery backed write cache)

The accelerator is built into the array controller itself and temporarily disables whenever the batteries fail.

Sound like its the main controller that isnt charging the battery.
I'm afraid you'll need to replace the controller.

I dont think there is a way to turn off the F1 prompt.

JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

If the controller is replaced, will that destroy the RAID containers so that the server has to be rebuilt?

Jonathan