1753962 Members
7496 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Replacing cache module on P840

LeeSanders
Occasional Visitor

Replacing cache module on P840

Hi.  I'm a backup tech that resells the Axcient backup product which are HP ProLiant servers.  One in question has a P840 Smart Array Controller that, I'm being told by Axcient tech support, that the cache module is dead which makes sense because performance is degraded.  Unfortunataley, out of warranty.  Does anyone know if the cache module itself can be replaced or does the entire controller need to be replaced?  It looks like a separate module that is replacement in HPE Smart Array Controllers User Guide but I cannot find a part number for it.  Another guide shows that the P840 needs to be replaced and that the P840 comes with the cache module.  Thoughts?  Precautions?

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Replacing cache module on P840

I did this a few days ago on a server under warranty and the replacement part was the controller with cahe module.

see

https://partsurfer.hpe.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=761874-B21

761880-001

Smart Array P840 PCIe3 x8 SAS controller - Two internal x8 mini-SAS double-wide ports and 4GB of flashed back write cache (FBWC) memory - For up to 12 Gb/sec transfer rate SAS and 6 Gb/sec SATA - Does not include battery, FBWC cannot be ordered separately

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
LeeSanders
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Torsten. Any precautions with replacement or just pop out the old and pop in the new?

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

P840 controller Cache module comes along with Controller and cant be ordered separately.

Please refer spare part note

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04495037

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Yes, replacement is simple ,remove the old one and install the new controller.

if you just want to replace the cache module then swap the cache module from new controller to your existing controller.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

Solarwinds

Does that affect RAID Setup or stored data in HDD, if just the cache module from old card is replaced with a new one?

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Solarwinds,

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and guide you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo