Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing existing mirrored pair Hard drives with larger ones on DL580 G2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chas Powers
Occasional Visitor

Replacing existing mirrored pair Hard drives with larger ones on DL580 G2

Hello, I have a DL580 G2 with a mirrored pair of 18GB drives for the OS and a mirrored pair of 36GB drives for applications, data and the page file. I want to replace the mirrored 36 GB drives with 146GB ones. What are the best procedures to perform this upgrade?

Thank you.
7 REPLIES
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Replacing existing mirrored pair Hard drives with larger ones on DL580 G2

So you have Array A (18GB drives) with logical drive 1 configured as a mirror and Array B (36Gb drives) with logical drive 2 configured as a mirror.

What you could do in remove one drive from Array A and put in the new 146GB drive and wait for the array to rebuild; once the rebuilding has finished you can remove the other 18gb drive from Array A and put in the new 146GB drive and wait for the array to rebuild. At the end of this process you will have unused space in Array A; for here you have the option of extending the logical drive or creating a new logical drive with that unused space; for there you would need to configure the OS to utilize the extra spare.

Do the same with Array B.

The other option and possibly faster option is to backup, reconfigure and restore from backup.

Either way make sure you have a recent valid back up.
There’s your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Vijay

As per you post

What you could do in remove one drive from Array A and put in the new 146GB drive and wait for the array to rebuild; once the rebuilding has finished you can remove the other 18gb drive from Array A and put in the new 146GB drive and wait for the array to rebuild. At the end of this process you will have unused space in Array

Have you ever tried teh same thing practically or not. Where as for Netservers i know it is going to work fine. But on proliant i dont any information as such.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=lpn14582

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Hello Prashnat,

I have done this on a ProLiant DL380 G3, which has the same controller as the DL580 G2
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi,

any written doccument which say so.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Not specifically for the 5i but below is a snippet from the user guide for a 5300

Upgrading Hard Drive Capacity
You can increase the storage capacity on a system by swapping drives one at a time for higher capacity drives. This method is viable as long as a fault-tolerance method is running, and can be done even if there are no available drive bays.

CAUTION: Because a data rebuild takes about 15 minutes per gigabyte, your system is unprotected against drive failure for many hours, or even days, while the rebuild is in progress.

To upgrade hard drive capacity:
1. Back up all data.
2. Replace any drive. The data on the new drive is re-created from redundant information on the remaining drives.

CAUTION: Do not replace any other drive until data rebuild on this drive is complete.

3. When data on the new drive has been rebuilt (the Activity LED is no longer illuminated), repeat the previous step for the other drives in the array, one at a time.

When all drives have been replaced, you can use the extra capacity to create new logical drives or extend existing logical drives.
Chas Powers
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your suggestions. I should have mentioned that the arrays are connected to a 5312 controller. Does this change anything?
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

The SA5312 user guide documents that it will work.