Did you mean: 

Replacing failed drive in ML110G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Colin A
Advisor

Replacing failed drive in ML110G3

Hi, just after a bit of quick info...
I have an ML110G3 with two SATA 160GB HDD's in a RAID1 config...
Drive in Port0 is the primary, and Port1 is the secondary..
The drive in Port0 is saying it has failed, and needs replacing.., do I just simply swap it out...?, and the data from the drive in Port1 will sync up with the new drive in Port0...?, or is there anything else I should be aware of..., as I don't want to trash my existing data....
7 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Replacing failed drive in ML110G3

I don't have your exact server and array setup but with all other raid controllers and disk arrays I have worked with, that's all I needed to do. Do you have ACU installed or whatever it is that manages the raid controller in this server?
Colin A
Advisor

Yeah, all setup in the BIOS with this model...
u84823
Regular Advisor

I would guess it's like the ML115 - replace the disk, go in to the BIOS ACU and select rebuild. The OS can then be booted at this point whilst the rebuild completes.
Colin A
Advisor

My worry was that when the RAID1 was setup, you tell it that the disc in PORT0 was "in charge" and the disc in PORT1 was "the copy"...

As my disc that is in PORT0 has failed, how does it know which disc is now "in charge"..?

I wouldn't want the new disc in PORT0 to copy itself to the disc in PORT1 as it would overwrite my live data with a blank HDD..., if you see what I mean...

Not sure I understand exactly how it all works...
TTr
Honored Contributor

In mirrored pairs there in predefined "copy direction", neither the concept of master-slave or primary-secondary. Both members are equivalent. If one fails, the controller it rebuilds it from the other.
TTr
Honored Contributor

The above should read
In mirrored pairs there iS NO predefined "copy direction", neither the concept of master-slave or primary-secondary. Both members are equivalent. If one fails, the controller it rebuilds it from the other.
Colin A
Advisor

Well, I think I was right to be worried about how this all works...

In the help info it says, replace the failed drive and when the server starts up it will automatically start rebuilding...

It also suggests that is this doesn't happen you can manually rebuild it by right clicking on the disc in the HP Array Manager and selecting "rebuild"..

Well, none of that was available or worked...

Here's what I did..

I replaced the failed disc and booted the server..., nothing "automatically" started..

In the HP Array Manager software it showed my two drives as READY and OPTIMAL..., and the existing array was in error...

The READY one was the new drive I had just put in...

I right clicked on the replaced drive and selected "set as hot spare"..., bingo!, it all started rebuilding...

Nothing like what was written in the documentation and help...

I'm informed a 160GB drive will take a day or so to fully rebuild....