6652 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing failed hard drive on HP ProLiant ML350 G3

Steven Hodgkinson
Occasional Contributor

Replacing failed hard drive on HP ProLiant ML350 G3

Hello,

I have managed to source a new hard drive which is the same spec as the failed one. Would any one be able to offer some advice on the best way to go about replacing the failed one.

The hard drive will be one of three in a raid 5 configuration.

From my understanding the best way to carry this out would be to shut down the server and replace the failed one and then reboot and the system will recognise the new one and start the rebuild?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Steven
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Hodgkinson
Occasional Contributor

HP Array diagnostic and configuration utility are also installed on the server and the hard drives are hot swaps

Thanks

Steven
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

if they are hot swap drives you should be able to replace it online, the controller should automatically start the rebuild once it picks up the replacement drive, make sure you take a backup before you start (just in case)
which raid controller do you have installed ?
the rebuild will take some time depending on the size of the disks involved, if server activity can be kept to a minimum while the rebuild takes place this would help, all the drives will be pretty busy at this time and if you're going to get another disk fail it's usually at this time (which is where your earlier backup comes in !)

hth

Steven Hodgkinson
Occasional Contributor

Hi hth,

Thanks for the reply,

I have a smart array 641 controller installed on the server.

I was planning on carrying out the swap over the weekend so that the server is not in use and hopefully reduce the likelihood of another fail.

Thanks for the information so far are you aware of any documentation available which I could use as a back up?

Thanks

Steven
MStoumba
Frequent Advisor

Yes I would do a backup also and ten take the server down. When you boot the server you can hit the F8 key and go into the array config and give the array controller high priorty to rebuild the array.