ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753689 Members
5057 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Replacing the primary drive on a proliant dl380 g1

Paul Bliss

Replacing the primary drive on a proliant dl380 g1

Hi. We've got a bunch of old-school G1 dl380s in production, and one of them has a 9GB scsi primary drive that's acting funny and I suspect will soon fail. The Drive is Raid 0 by itself. I have a 36GB replacement scsi drive that I'd like to replace the old 9GB one with, but the raid controler seems to store raid information for the other two drives on the primary. I guess I'm looking for any advice on duplicating the information on the original drive to the larger with the smallest complication possible.
If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.
TIA
-paul
7 REPLIES 7
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Replacing the primary drive on a proliant dl380 g1

Every Drive in the System keep records for other drives, Primary Drive keeps records only for System Partition F10, which is SW version of your System configuration. Depend how your other two drives configured part of same array or second Array than you can move safely or not. Array Configuration Utility is not interfering with System Partition. Let us know how two other drive assigned to your ACU.
Paul Bliss

There are 5 arrays, each with made of only one drive.

ARRAY---scsi channel---id---size
A 2 2 9.1GB
B 2 1 18.2GB
C 2 0 18.2GB
D 1 0 9.1GB
E 1 15 36.7

the drive that is array D, which is the primary boot drive, has been giving errors, which make me think that it's going to die soon.

I added a 36.7 GB drive which created array E and used Symantec Ghost to duplicate the contents of drive 1, 0(array d) onto drive 1, 15 (array e).

After duplication completed, I pulled the defective drive (1,0) and renumbered the new drive (1,15) to the old drives id (1,0).

This didn't work and it saw all arrays on the system as undefined.

So my question is how am I supposed to replace the drive in at position 1,0 with the drive at position 1, 15?

It seems like a simple enough problem with a very complicated answer.

Again, thank you in advance

-paul
e4services
Honored Contributor

Backup - Restore
That seems the most straight forward. After backup, fail the drive. remove it and replace with new. restart and restore.

If you want to continue with Ghost, wish has some issues with these controllers but does work sometimes, I would ghost to a CD or an HD off of the RAID controller. Use network support may be. The fail and replace the drive. Then restore from the ghost local.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Paul Bliss

Regarding the suggestion to backup and restore,
are you referring to some utility the compaq provides? I'll see if I can't figure out the finer points of the suggestion myself, but if you feel like clearifying, go right ahead.

Thanks!!
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Paul:

Couple of quick questions...

I do not recall you mentioning these:

1. OS?

2. Did you ghost both partitions on the original drive? Assuming you have a System Utilities partition and a Data Partition.

If you are running Windows AND you only ghosted the Windows boot partition, you need to edit your boot.ini file to reflect the change in partition for your OS. See below for an example:

On the line...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
You would change the partition value to 0 ^

(your boot.ini file will be slightly different since it is not running WIndows XP, but the same structure applies.)

Similar in linux, you would edit your lilo/grub conf file.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Paul Bliss

The OS in question is linux, redhat ES.

The drive here does not have the system utility partition (at the time of building the machine, the Compaq Utility CD was missing)

In an effort to follow an earlier reccomendation, I attached an IDE drive to the system and was going to make a ghost backup onto it. Well, for some reason, when the drive is connected it does not show up in the drives available to Ghost. Also the drive disables booting from the IDE cdrom also.

I'd even tried using only ide port 2 and putting a regular (as opposed to the special compaq ide+power single cable drive) cd drive and the ide drive on a standard cable. It can boot from the cd, but still can't see the HD. Even as far as the system dignostics are concerned.

For something that is as possible as a primary drive failing, compaq sure made this procedure involved!

Again, thank you so much to eveyone helping me out.
-paul
Paul Bliss

here's what I'm currently trying:

I've added another drive, a 36GB scsi. I converted my Raid array from a single drive- raid 0 9GB to a two drive raid 1.
This sacrificed the bulk of the size of the 36GB.

what I want to do now is fail the original drive and convert the array to 0, consisting only of the 36GB one.
Once that's done I'd like to expand the logical drive to the full physical drive's capacity.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?