108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reset BIOS Password & Hard Disk Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dennis Neufeld
Occasional Advisor

Reset BIOS Password & Hard Disk Question

Hi guys, I've got a few questions about my server.

Its a Proliant ML570 G2 (I think G2), with quad 2.0GHz Xeon processors.

I need to get into the BIOS for the server but I do not know the password. Can anyone tell me how to reset it? Thanks.

Also, I recently purchased an U320 80-ping 73GB SCSI drive for the server. When I power on the server, the lights in the tray that the drive is in flash on and off a little at first and they they all go blank. The lights will not light up correctly until I set up the drive correct? So will the SmartStart CD help me do that?

Thanks!

Dennis
11 REPLIES 11
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

for the password you need to clean the NVRAM or CMOS
see this page to check where is located
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00064937/c00064937.pdf

Clearing CMOS
To erase an invalid system configuration:
1. Move the S6 configuration switch to the On position. This setting clears portions of
CMOS and NVRAM.
2. Power up the server. Wait for the ProLiant logo to display on the video display.
3. Power down the server.
4. Move the S6 configuration switch to the Off position.
5. Power up the server.
To clear all contents of CMOS NVRAM, remove the battery, then reinstall the battery. All
device settings have to be completely reconfigured

2 -
if you need configure a RAID level yes SmartStart CD is great for you

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Dennis Neufeld
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

I have a question about my hard disk. When I boot the server up, the lights on the trays flash, like the dash lights on a car do when you start it up, just as a test. They immediately turn off once the server has been up and running for more than a few seconds. There are no lights on at all after this.

If I pull the drive cage out of the bay and put it back in, the green arrow on the cage flashes and then turns off again for good. Is there good documentation on hard disk setup? Judging from what information I have given does it look like there is anything wrong?

When I load the SmartStart CD, on the initial page it says Boot Controller Disk Size: 0 MB.

When I click on Launch Setup, it takes me to the page where it asks me if I want to configure an array controller. When I choose Array Configuration Utility, it says ACU did not detect any supported conrollers in your system.

Any help?

Thanks much,

Dennis
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

there is nothing wrong with your HDD

what's happening is that your server ml570 G2
has a Controller

Integrated Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter

can you confirm this? you can see that on POST

ACU only supports Smart Array Controllers like:
Smart Array 6402/128 Controller
273915-B21
Smart Array 6404/256 Controller 273914-B21
Smart Array 641 Controller
291966-B21
Smart Array 642 Controller
291967-B21

regards
Dennis Neufeld
Occasional Advisor

Hi, thanks for all of your help Karlo.

When the server boots up, it has the "Press F8 to configure ......." message that comes up after it asks me to press F8 to configure the iLO card.

I loaded up the SmartStart CD and according to the Server Diagnostics Utility displays the following:

SCSI Controller, Slot 0 - 64-bit-........... Wide Ultra3 SCSI Host Bus Adapter, and the model is 64-bit-66MGz-Dual-Channel-Wide Ultra3 SCSI Host Bus Adapter.

It says it has 2 SCSI channels.

I do not see anything about a "SmartArray" controller when the server boots up, but when I press F8 when it asks me if I want to configure the SCSI stuff, it talks about recovering from a tape drive or changing the SCSI drive.

Thanks for any help.

Dennis

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Dennis

yes Wide Ultra3 SCSI Host Bus Adapter is not Smart Array Card therefore SmartStart is not to configure those hard drives

so I recommend you if you wanna have RAID level and fault tolerance for your server install want card that I listed before this because this card Wide Ultra3 SCSI Host Bus Adapter
does not support any RAID level just only JBOD
check this link

Non RAID Storage Applications
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/adapters/singlechannel/index.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

regards
Dennis Neufeld
Occasional Advisor

Hey,

Well I just have one drive now and all I want to do is get an OS installed on the server with the single drive I have right now.

I thought these servers had a built in RAID controller?

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dennis
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

by default is that controller you need to buy a new one

so in your case with just 1 hard drive(HDD) that card is fine because if you were using a Smart Array card with only one HDD that would be RAID 0 (which is not fault tolerance)

so go ahead and install your Windows 2000/2003

regards
Dennis Neufeld
Occasional Advisor

I don't even think that the server is detecting my single hard drive, is there a way for me to check? When it runs through all the channels/IDs when it boots up, nothing shows up.

Thanks,

Dennis
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Dennis try running Windows and if you get not hard drives detected or similar let us now.

any amber or red LED on the Hard drive?

can you see the HDD on the standar boot order on BIOS?

regards