1748050 Members
4593 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reset Switch for ML570 G1

Keith Romberg
Frequent Advisor

Reset Switch for ML570 G1

Is there a reset switch for the ML570 G1?

The problem is that when the system is 'restarted' from XP, the system goes into a state of limbo. Limbo meaning that windozes finishes shutting down, then the monitor does not get any signal and the ML570 does not seem to boot. Everything appears to have power, but the system does not start the bootloader. The only thing I have found is to cold boot it. Is there a reset switch that can be pressed so that I can keep the machine powered up?

Interestingly, linux keeps the machine in a good state when it reboots.

Keith
8 REPLIES 8
Girma Kassa_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Reset Switch for ML570 G1

Hi Keith,

If you are looking for server switches, check the below link for MSG...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_122821-002_rev3_us/TPM_122821-002_rev3_us.pdf

Cheers,

Girma
Keith Romberg
Frequent Advisor

I am looking and/or wondering if the ML570 has a POWER reset switch to reset the computer rather than using the power on/off switch.

Keith
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

No, HP servers does not have reset button.
Keith Romberg
Frequent Advisor

So HP decided to save 12 cents per unit and not include one.... I wonder if a MBA was involved with that decision and came up with that solution to increase third quarter profits??!?!?!

Keith

Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

This practice came from descent years. Many A-brands did not have reset button.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Reset buttons were eliminated as part of the Microsoft-Intel Server Design Guide specifications. In order to be compliant, the device must be ACPI-compliant, and that does not include an archaic "short out pins on the processor" style reset.
Keith Romberg
Frequent Advisor

OK, fair enough. Why then does the server go into a no responsive state after it reboots from Windows?

Keith

Keith Romberg
Frequent Advisor

Turns out it was a sound card that was failing/failed that was causing the problem. I pulled it and problem has gone away.

Keith