ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753726 Members
4777 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Resize logical drive in RAID 5

n.tamilselvan

Resize logical drive in RAID 5

HI , i have hp ml370 server and it has 3 unit of 72GB hdd. There are 2 partitions shown in my computer , that is c:\(24GB) and the second partition is d:\(120GB) . My question is how to resize the c:\ drive by taking space from d:\ . I have tried EASEUS Partition Master Server Edition to resize , but i can't increase the size , it seems like i can't take the space from the d:\ drive , any suggestions ... pls help ...n is there any way in hp Array Configuration Utility. million thanks in advance.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
CLEB
Valued Contributor

You should be able to do this with a tool like Acronis Disk Director, I have done exactly that with several servers.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

google parted magic it's great for these kind of things.
But anyway, you are looking at a time consuming operation that needs to be done offline and for god sake make a good backup!
n.tamilselvan

hi cleb , i have tried acronis, but i can't extend the size of c:\ because the partitions shown as 2 different disk, i can't take space from d:\ . Any other way ...
wobbe
Respected Contributor

The "partitions" have been made on the raid controller. So as far as I know you can't change the size at the O.S. level. I would make a backup of both disks with some kind of imaging software (Ghost, Acronis, Clonezilla), then reconfigure the controller and then reload the image.
Make sure you check the integrity of the image before you overwrite the original disks!)
Techguys
Occasional Advisor

If partition C and D are on the same virtual drive, you can easily resize or extend the partition. It is the same as resizing physical disk partition.
Don't break the RAID and make a backup, see this guide how to resize RAID 5 partition http://www.partition-magic-server.com/resize-partition/resize-raid-5-partition.html