ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751976 Members
4992 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Review of the advise ( disable the disk cache ) for Proliant servers.

HoracioMiranda
Occasional Advisor

Review of the advise ( disable the disk cache ) for Proliant servers.

Hi I wanted to start this thread, because I wanted to review some thinking around this subject.

The cases that I wanted to discuss are:

A) power outage ( may be but today filesystems are not ext2 nor FAT32).

B) The will be protected  ( If a disk goes wrong, the raid should take care of the situation ).

C) I can't think of another case.

My current thinking is the idea if disable the disk cache are meant to protect filesystem that are not capable to recover when something goes wrong. NTFS is been around a while and ext3/XFS and another Transaction systems. So perhaps it is time to review, discuss and clarify this urban myth and put in perspective when is right to have cache and when should not be used.

1 REPLY 1
Bunsol
HPE Pro

Re: Review of the advise ( disable the disk cache ) for Proliant servers.

Hi Horacio,

However if you want the data to be protected at hardware level then go with a Raid array which has a fault tolerance so that even if 1 drive fails your data will be secured.  Enabling write cache on the drive through device manager may lead to data loss as you get the disclaimer. So it is best suggested to go with hardware fault tolerance instead of going for the other option.

Regards,

Bunsol

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo