1753544 Members
5951 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Running out of space

AreWhy
Advisor

Running out of space

I have a ML370 G4 server (file server) on a RAID5 setup. On the OS Hard drive, there are two partitions, 8gb allocated to the OS (Server03) and 127GB for user files, etc.

I now have ~400MB remaining on the primary (OS) drive. I need to make more space.

How can I go about adding more space? Do I install a new hard drive, and start from scratch?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would create a RAID 1 array on separate drives for the OS and paging file. RAID 5 problems can corrupt the OS. Microsoft and Novell recommend RAID 1 and 10 for OS and paging for safety.
AreWhy
Advisor

but will this allow me to expand the 8gb to let's say 30?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

There are a couple of different things that you can do.

Most obvious would be to put in larger drives since you are already utilizing all of the space available.

You can either replace the drive's one at a time... or add in another drive and expand the array.

In order to expand your c: partition... you will need a 3rd party utility.

How much of the 127GB is in use?

From the sounds of it, your server was not set up optimally to begin with.

If you feel up to it and you have available space (unused space in the data partition), you can go ahead with a rebuild..

1. Backup all of your data
2. Grab a Smartstart CD and rebuild your server.
3. This time, use the ACU to create 2 logical drives out of the array. first one 30GB RAID1+0 and a second one RAID5 with the remaining space. (Yes, you will loose some of the original available space).
4. Optionally, you can add in a 4th drive to recover some of the space lost to your new "C:" drive. Do this before step 2.
5. Install Windows and Updates/Service Packs
6. Restore Data to new Data drive.

This is just a basic listing of steps. We can expand it out to make sure all the bases are covered, but mainly it's just to give you an idea of the work envolved.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
AreWhy
Advisor

124/127 is used, and this is for application data and user files. i plan to clean roughly 40gb worth tomorrow.

ideally i do not want to rebuild the sever... so let's say away from that for now..
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

So, 2 options...

First:

Upgrade the drives to 146GB disks, effectively doubling your raw space.

After that, you can expand/extend the logical drive with the new space.

After that, you need to use some 3rd party software to extend your c: drive.

Second:

Add a 4th 72GB drive and follow the same process. Expand the array, expand the logical drive, use 3rd party software to extend the partitions.

Third:

use some 3rd party software to try to re-size your current partitions after you clean up the 40GB. Requires no extra hardware, just software.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Before deciding on not rebuilding scan the forum for the number of RAID 5 problems that corrupted their OS lately. I remember 3-4 in the last few weeks.

You would also get better performance limiting one logical partition per RAID array. One RAID array for OS and data partition causes disk thrashing. The heads have to move back and forth for OS, logs, paging, apps, and data reads and writes. It best to move the OS to its own partition to improve server performance.
AreWhy
Advisor

@Steven,

So I have already upgraded the 74GB to 140GB.

Now I have I would like to extend my logical drive tot he max allowable (200GB). With that should I have any remaining space? If my math is right, I should have 70.5GB left.. Is that right, and if so, can I do anything with this space?

AreWhy
Advisor

Also, is it advisable to extend the logical drive during business hours, or should I be doing this after business ie. evening/weekend?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

IMHO an important question would be - what takes all the space on the OS drive?

Did you consider a cleanup?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!