New Discussion юеВ

SA6400 Battery Pack

Robin_37
Trusted Contributor

Re: SA6400 Battery Pack

I suggest you to update the Rom Flash for the array because its a known issue

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/22234.html

Refer to Customer Advisory EX040528_CW01 for additional information

This Smart Array firmware will recommend updates for some SCSI disk drive models after the Smart Array firmware has been installed. To avoid notification during the POST routine, update any applicable hard disk drives before updating the Smart Array firmware. Click here to obtain the list of affected disk drive models.

Regards

Robin
Keivan Kechmiri
Occasional Advisor

I've already have the latest firmware on both the old (now replaced) controller and the new one.

Can a faulty cache module disturbe the charging of the battery on the controller board?

I also have checked the version of
Battery PIC Rev: 0x1c
and as it seams to be the correct one?

The latest firmware:
Controller Firmware Rev: 2.34
Controller ROM Revision: 2.34
Controller Hardware Rev: 0x01
Boot Block Version: 3.86

Some info from the report:

ACCELERATOR STATUS:
Logical Drive Disable Map: 0xfffffffc
Read Cache Size: 64 MBytes
Posted Write Size: 64 MBytes
Disable Flag: 0x00
Disable Code: 0x0001
Total Memory Size: 128 MBytes
Battery Count: 2
Battery Status: 0x0001

Any suggestions??
Edwin Sanchez

If ADU reports

Failed Batteries: 0x0002 then replace controller battery

Troy Blewitt
Advisor

The battery pack on the cache module (battery pack 2) receives power for charging from the cache module that it's attached to. The cache module can be the cause of the battery not charging, and I have seen this happen before.
Keivan Kechmiri
Occasional Advisor

OK, but now Troy says that battery pack 2 is the one on the cache module.

What's the correct one?

And Troy I'm also looking into this as a last chance.

Now I have a new controller card that I've got as a spare part and it's now running fine in another server. So this weeked I'll swap the controller card and I'll keep the cache module in the faulty server. If I then get a battery not charged then I now it's the cache module.
Troy Blewitt
Advisor

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. I believe battery pack 2 is the controller battery. It seems unlikely that the controller cache module would interfere with the controller battery charging.

Haven't seen any documentation specifically defining which is battery pack #1 or #2, but as Edwin already advised, find the ADU line that says
Failed Batteries: 0x0002
which indicates controller battery.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Under the Accelerator Status there should be a Failed Batteries field; this could have a value of x0 ├в Normal, x1 ├в BBWC battery problem, x2 ├в Controller battery problem, x3 - both batteries have a problem.
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Akos Hegedus
Valued Contributor

Under the Accelerator Status there should be a Failed Batteries field; this could have a value of x0 for Normal, x1 for BBWC battery problem, x2 for Controller battery problem, x3 - both batteries have a problem.