New Discussion

Re: SAS Disk Red Light

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cooprado
Visitor

SAS Disk Red Light

Hi there,

We have a proliant server with 4 sas (2 disk mirrored), a pair of 72GB and a pair of 146GB. This morning i have noticed one of the 146GB disk has his red light flashing. His green light still flashes too and it seems to be working, but i'm worried... red lights doesn't show for nothing.

¿Whats happening? ¿What should i do?

7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, check out the ACU - array configuration utility - and if that doesn't tell you enough check out teh ADU - array diagnostic utility. You can also see information in the ILO log or the IML log if you've done a reboot.

Red light usually means the controller doesn't have a connection to the disk..
Cooprado
Visitor

Hi Johan,

I have used the ACU and i get this message:

# 800 The Physical drive at Port 1I : Box 1 : Bay 3 is reporting S.M.A.R.T. errors.

I'm searching now for the ADU and will post any new information i get.

Cooprado
Visitor

ADU:

Physical Drive 1I:1:3 Warning  Physical Drive State: Predictive failure. This physical drive is predicted to fail soon.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you're seeing SMART errors you should have the disk replaced asap.

The smart errors are predictive failures so the disk hasn't failed yet, but it very likely will.

It might be months, it might be days. 

If you have warranty contact HP and they should replace the disk.

Cooprado
Visitor

I'm trying to determine if the disk is in warranty, i found this:

http://europe.itrc.hp.com/service/ewarranty/warrantyInput.do

I got the Drive Serial Number (3NM448F700009820155H) from ADU's report but the tool seems to fail to detect if i allready have warranty or not.

Will replace the disk right now and will worry for that afterwards... thanks a lot for the help!

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

The HP serial number for a disk may not be visible in the ADU (meaning you may only see it on the sticker on the disk itself).
What you found there is probably the manufacturer's s/n.

The HP number is 10-12 characters and usually starts with two or three letters. But it varies.
azleen

Hi Cooprado,

I'm having exactly the same problem as you were.

Might helping me to share how do you replace the error disk.

i've try hot swap the spare disk but as soon as i put the spare on the error bay, that spare unit become red flashing as well.

thank you