7338 Online
108802 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAS SFF disk with E200i controller

Thomas_VDB
Advisor

Hi,

I also think this is the best idea. I will try to determine if the SFF disk in the adapter, will fit in the housing of my 72GB LFF hotswap disk.
I'll have to compare my 72GB disk that I remove from the housing, with the picture on the website.
(I found a high res on http://www.cru-dataport.com/slideshow.php?dir=//Mounting-Kits//&sel=5)

Don't suppose you know a better way to check compatibility than looking at a picture :-)

Thanks!
Thomas.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately you have to rely on the picture comparison. Usually the bracket manufacturers take that into account. The ML LFF drive bay bracket might have its own connector adapter built in as well.

Look at this WD web site

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=495

This is a **3.5-inch (backplane-ready)** drive but it really is a 2.5" drive in a bracket. Note that the drive is in the middle of the bracket however it has a connector adapter that positions its external connector at the bottom(top) and to the side. Look at the 3rd picture.

If you click on the **3.5-inch (SATA cable connect)** drive you will see that the connector in the middle. This is "cable connect" not backplane.

I am not trying to make you buy that bracket. I have no idea who that web site is, I just happened to find their picture. You can search yourself for a bracket and maybe find a cheaper one.
Thomas_VDB
Advisor

Hi,

The new adapter that you propose, is for SATA in my opinion (not SAS).
The connectors are not the same as on my SAS drives. I've attached pictures of my LFF and SFF drives. (btw I made a mistake, I thought that the SFF was not hotswappable but it is, I didn't take it out of the packaging).
So I think your first proposal (CRU-DataPort Hard Drive Mounting Kit) still is the way to go.
The connectors of the SFF and LFF seem to be the same (see pics), but the LFF has an extra 4 pin connector that the SFF doesn't have. What do you think?
TTr
Honored Contributor

I was not proposing a new adapter. The WD pictures were for illustartion only. The SAS and SATA cabling and connectors are identical.

I don't see the 4pin connector on the LFF drive. Is it in the center inside the cavity?It is probably a jumper block to selct 1.5GB vs. 3GB and most likely it is not used. Check inside the drive bay to see if there is a 4-pin receptacle that the 4 pins from the drive plug in to.
Thomas_VDB
Advisor

Hi,

Indeed it seems to be a jumper block.
I'll take my flashlight and double check for a connector in the drive bay.
In the mean time, I'll try to order the adapter at the provantage store.

I'll let you know!

Thomas.