1752795 Members
6068 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAS and SATA

costakiau
Occasional Contributor

SAS and SATA

I have a ML350 with a E200i controller (which seems to be onboard??) that has 8 ports for SAS drives (four of which are taken up by SAS HDDs) and i have a SATA backup device that i want to plug into it but I cant for the life of me find a SATA port on the controller or anywhere else for that matter. Does anyone have an idea, maybe i need to have a SATA cable with a SAS backplane? If so are there any power issues that i need to consider?

Any insight would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

E200i supports intermix of SAS and SATA drives in same cage (but not in same array). This realized by "tunelling" SATA protocol over SAS.
e4services
Honored Contributor

First, there is no External port to connect an external device, just the 2 internal ports.
You may need to add an eSATA equipped controller
The cabling to an SAS device and a SATA device should be the same, depending on the device.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Paul_424
Occasional Contributor

Hi.. did you ever get this issues fixed? I too have a SATA tape drive I need to connect to the ML350 G5 with E200i controller, but can't seem to get a good solution.
Thanks..Paul (paul.kirk@quantumclothing.com)
costakiau
Occasional Contributor

I went and bought a SATA card (pci express). I got an adaptec 1220 SA. make sure you get the 1220 not the 1210 as the 1210 only works with hdds.