1752596 Members
4992 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SAS and SATA

costakiau
Occasional Contributor

SAS and SATA

I have a ML350 with a E200i controller (onboard>?) that which seems to have 8 ports for SAS drives (four taken up by hdds) and i have a SATA backup device that i want to plug into it but I cant for the life of me find a SATA port on the controller or anywhere else for that matter. Does anyone have an idea, maybe i need to have a SATA cable with a SAS backplane? If so are there any power issues that i need to consider?

Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks
Costa

p.S. This thread has been moved from General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum moderator

1 REPLY 1
MM_Z
Advisor

Re: SAS and SATA

Presuming you have ML350 G5

If you do not have server with Xeon 5400 QQuad core series you might be out of luck.

However still - if you have SATA CD / DVD installed, you might try using thta connector ...

Manual - check position of SATA connector on board near CPU socket (it is optional ie not available on all models)

QuickSpecs

"NOTE: Please note that some of the earlier BTO models may not support adding
SATA Optical Drives. To ensure compatibility of the SATA Optical Drives, please add
additional optical drives only on models with Quad-Core 5400 Series processors."

You may want to experiment with SATA PCIe Add On controller card (but it is not HP supported config).