ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748209 Members
2788 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SATA Array detects no drives ML310 G2 Proliant Server

Anthony Navarro

SATA Array detects no drives ML310 G2 Proliant Server

Hey all... I have a Proliant server, ML310 G2. It shipped with a SCSI controller and one SCSI disk when we bought it last year.

I want to do SATA RAID instead... I took out the SCSI controller and drive, and installed 4 SATA drives. I had to buy the 1-to-4 SATA adapter cable to plug the 4 SATA drives into the embedded controller on the motherboard since the vendor didn't leave that with me.

When I boot up and go into the Adaptec SATA RAID utility the controller cannot see any drives. Also, going under Disk Utilities in the SATA controller it only shows two SATA ports.

Do I have the wrong cable? Is this SATA RAID only good for 2 drives and not 4, even though the cable fits?

Thanks in advance!

-Anthony Navarro
5 REPLIES 5
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

Anthony Navarro

Thanks, TJ... so if my system DOES support the 4 drives, which I was under the impression but was confused b/c of the BIOS reporting only 2 SATA ports, why do you think the controller does not see any of my drives?

Confused in North Carolina...

-Anthony
Jim Barton
Occasional Advisor

I am having a similar problem.

ML310 G2 - SATA

Currently the server has 2 80GB (RAID1) and I want to add 2 250GB drives and create another array. The server does not detect the new drives.

Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks!
Anthony Navarro

Hey Jim... I finally gave up. I installed two 2-port SATA cards in the system from a failed server and configured them with Software RAID5 in Win Server 2003. So the system boots off the primary SCSI, and all my data and apps are on the SATA RAID-5 array.

-Anthony
Jim Barton
Occasional Advisor

Hey Anthony,

I created a new post and received this reply.

Jim

*NOTE: A maximum of two hard drives are supported when integrated RAID is enabled. Use of hot plug SATA hard drives in positions 2 and/or 3 requires either a non-RAID configuration or installation of the HP 6-port SATA RAID controller (P/N 372953-B21) and the HP 4-port SATA/SAS target fan cable (P/N 389653-B21).

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12168_na/12168_na.HTML

This is from the Storage section. Seems that in order to do what you want, you'd have to order a new PCI storage controller or turn off raid all together.