108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SATA HARD DRIVES

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

SATA HARD DRIVES

I purchased HP Proliant DL 100 1TB storage server with 4 slot HDD(250GB each), can i remove the drives and replace it with each 1 TB sata HDD, to make it 4TB? Do yoy think it will work?

Thanks for your reply!
10 REPLIES 10
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Your Query has the answer in itself.

you have a "DL100 1TB Storage Server"

1TB - would mean thats the maximum Internal capacity.

So, NO, U cant increase it to 4 TB.

DL100 severs comes with SATA Hardware RAID Controller (640GB, 1TB, 2TB models).

Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

thanks for your answer!!!

So it means HP DL140 & DL36 will not work if you also change their HDD to a higher capacity?
Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

thanks for your answer!!!

So it means HP DL140 & DL360 will not work if you also change their HDD to a higher capacity?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

I think we were discussing DL100 1TB storage server.

In case of DL140 & DL360 servers, refer the Specifications of the server.

It would also depend on the Smart Array controller U use.

If the controller DONT support the higher capacity HDDs.... it simply wont work !
Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again for your help.

Bye.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Dhon,

Although non-standard, replacing the drives should work but you would need to run the restore DVD to rebuild everything again from scratch. The NAS Restore DVD's can be obtained free of charge from HP if you don't have it.

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=NAS

Just make sure you check your model number as there are several versions of the DL100 G2. HP changed the model naming convention in 2006 but the systems look identical. Older models used the Adaptec 2410SA SATA controller and newer ones the 2420SA. You can check the controller model in the Adaptec Management utility online.
The restore DVD checks the controller model on boot and won't rebuild if you get the wrong DVD.

The DVD will build the partitions which span all 4 disks as 3 X RAID5 volumes. Older NAS boxes used RAID1 and RAID5 but the DL100 G2 is different.
Logical disk 1 -15Gb (OS)
Logical disk 2 -5Gb (DON'T ERASE)
Logical disk 3 -Remaining Space left
The DON'T ERASE volume is an emergency volume used for boot purposes if your OS volume is corrupt. It contains a copy of the factory build.

Check out the Administrator and other guides here to see how it's all configured.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=uk&docIndexId=691859&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1143895

I hope this helps.

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Dhon,

I forgot to add that if you are unsure of your product ID (Which version of the DL100 G2 you have) it can be checked in the BIOS.

1. During Boot Press F10 to enter Setup
2. Select 'Advanced'
3. Select 'DMI Information'
4. Select 'Product ID'

This information can be used to confirm the correct DVD to use or obtain from HP.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

Brian,

So what you said it's possible for me to change the hard drive even though the server is only specification is 1TB server only?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Dhon,

Yes,

The same DVD is used for the 2TB model as well. The remaining space on the disk is configured as the third volume.

However - HP won't provide spare drives if you have a failure since these are not covered by warranty from HP if you bought them yourself and changed the configuration. The rest of the system should still be covered.

Brian