HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA RAID 1 and Preinstalled Windows SBS 2003

wohlgetan
Occasional Advisor

SATA RAID 1 and Preinstalled Windows SBS 2003

Hello,

we just worked through the installation and configuration of a preinstalled Windows Server 2003 SBS Std. as a domain controller, when we wanted to add some safety and build from the two non hot-plugable 80GB sata HDD a mirror set.

After we defined the RAID 1 in the BIOS some time goes by and it was completed successful. But for my grief, windows doesn't start succesful, nor in raid-mode neither standard anymore, only in compatibility mode!

We tried to install the drivers provided on the HP CD-Rom for the sata controller, nothing changed.

Is this just a driver issue or did we screw our pre-installed and full configured server?

If we have to reinstall, how could we provide the (correct) sata controller driver, since the two 80GB HDDs are the only ones in the system and we didn't attach a floppy-drive to the server. Is it possible to provide mass storage controller drivers during setup of windows with F6 w/o floppy drive? Maybe through a CD-Rom?

thanks in advance, Patrick
12 REPLIES
SPa
Trusted Contributor

Re: SATA RAID 1 and Preinstalled Windows SBS 2003

Hi Patrick,

What is the Server Model and which SATA Controller is installed.

The Drivers as such can be installed during setup using an external USB Floppy Drive if an internal one is not available.

Sumesh
wohlgetan
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

the server is a HP Proliant ML110 G2 based model with P4HT 3,2GHz CPU and 2*512MB Ram, 2* non hot-plugable onboard sata 80GB HDDs with preinstalled Windows Small Business Server 2003, the complete type is ML110T02.

What I'm wondering is, that it works perfectly until we decided to build from the two single drives one mirror set. And unfortunately, after we couldn't get it to boot as a mirror we were able to bring the installation back online´only in compatibility mode!

And thanks for the suggestions for an USB-floppy drive, I did som searching inside the knowledgebase before I posted my question and was aware of this opportunity, because of that and while I have no usb-enabled floppy drive I asked for a non-floppy solution, like providing the driver on a cd.

thanks in advance, Patrick
otto warlich
Regular Advisor

Hello Patrick,

I think Sumesh is right.
It cost me half a day to try everything to get the driver, only W2K3 ask by setup (f6) for a floppy a-drive. We are lucky to have a USB-floppy drive on our office.
Maybe you can recreate the windows setup cd(change the unattaned file and add the drivers)

Goodluck

Otto
Srdjan_2
Advisor

I have same problem...but even worse. When i start SBS installation on ml110g3 and use f6 to load official hp sata raid driver for ml110g3 setup loads driver but then it cannot detect any disk drives when it comes to working with disk, just like driver is not good?! I tried regular w2k3 and w2k also but same happens with any windows. I tried different drivers too and still the same. Does anyone knows solution, i also use usb floppy, i am stucked with that and ml110g3 are just coming and coming...
Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

SATA Raid 1 on ML110 works fine with FreeBSD for us.
Srdjan_2
Advisor

I solved my problem by finally being able to download Adpahci.1.0.414.0-3842-Windows2000_2003.i686.zip drajver from HP sajt. I wrote an email to their webmaster to repair link. Now ml110g3 SBS Premium setup see raid1 volume.
Srdjan_2
Advisor

Here is the working driver
wohlgetan
Occasional Advisor

Hi!

As stated before, the system comes with an onboard, in the ICH6R embedded sata controller, which I use on our ML110G2. Therefore your provided driver should not have any effect Or did you use it for the embedded controller?

Back to my initial question, I found another way to provide mass storage drivers during a standard Windows Server 2003 installation and F6:

Regarding my own experiences and the HP ProLiant USB Site it is possible:

snip
Miscrosoft will support the use of USB devices during installation with
Windows 2000 SP4 or later slipstream OS media.
snap

I verified this with a 64 MB USB disk, formatted with HP USB Drive Key either as
1,44MB "floppy" and as 55MB FAT "HDD". Both times, after placing the driver
files, it was recognized during setup as media for loading a mass storage
controller driver. I have to activate USB-legacy support in the BIOS, plug
the USB disk in and power up the system for a CD-Rom media based setup of
e.g. Windows Small business Server 2003, pressing F6, and so on...

If I directly formatted the USB drive with fat16 under Windows XP and placed
the driver files on it, the installation routine was endless accessing the
USB drive and "hangs".

I additionaly posted some questions in a Microsoft Partner Group to get this behavior confirmed, nothing yet.

Yeah, and of course we could go with HPs SmartStart CD-Rom, a unattended network installation from disk with integrated mass storage controller driver or build our own WinPE with the OPK, just for the completeness... (-;

cu Patrick

"all" downloads for ML110G2:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_6127.html

HP SmartStart ISO Images:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html

regarding SupportPack for Windows Server 2003:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22871.html

Proliant USB page:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/usb-support.html

HP USB Drive Key:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23839.html
wohlgetan
Occasional Advisor

PS: @Otto, regarding an article from the MS Knowledgebase, this would not work with the WINNT.SIF file for "unattended" Windows CD_Rom based installations.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234536/en-us
Srdjan_2
Advisor

Driver i provided did job for me; i have ICH7R-embedded but it is not the only model this driver should support, as i understanded.

Srkey
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

I have downloaded the drivers from Hp site and unzipped them and burnt then onto a cdrom

went through the install and patched the driver in through F6 and selecting cdrom drive. this was for win2003 server, and worked ok.

Andy
wohlgetan
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

@srdjan: thanks for sharing it, it's kind of dumb that the recommended driver doesn't provide sata raid functionality and the "wrong" one did....

@Andrew Rutter: Just to clarify: You didn't use smart start or an adapted installation disk, just a "normal" Windows Server 2003 installation disk from Microsoft. And the CD-Rom drive was (an internal one) on a standard IDE-port? That is going to be even better and better!

Beside this thread I also asked at a Microsoft private newsgroup for partner support about alternatives to the floppy-drive, and both the US and the german support professionals from Microsoft confirmed, that "it is hardcoded only to support a floppy drive" (german) and that these "need hardware
supported and should be an addition function added by DriveKey" (US).

Well, what a jungle! Maybe all the major players in Hard- and Software are able to find a new standard for pre-os-installation supported media that makes the floppy obsolete.

cu Patrick

freelance trainer & consulter
mcdst, mcsa, mcse messaging and security for 2003, 2000, nt4