ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753792 Members
7199 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SATA Rate ML350e Gen8 + p410 Controller.

TimberSpark
Occasional Visitor

SATA Rate ML350e Gen8 + p410 Controller.

We have a Proliant ML350e Gen8 server. It has been configured with an extra p410 controller in Slot 4. We have connected two MM1000GBKAL "HP 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps Quick Release MidLine 2.5-inch Internal Hard Drives" in a RAID1 configuration. There is no battery backup for the controller.

The HP Array Configuration Utility reports that the negotiated rate of both drives is SATA 1.5Gbps.

As is my understanding the p410 is limited to 3Gbps SATA but why would the drives work at 1.5Gbps and not a higer rate?

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Just for the fun - connect the disk cable to the built-in B120i controller (below the fans) and check the speed setting with ACU.

If it is faster, you know disk, disk cage and cable are good.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
TimberSpark
Occasional Visitor

That's a great idea. Should have mentioned though that this is a production server (the p410 didn't get delivered on timeand I had to fit it after it went to production). So if I did that wouldn't it break the array?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

From the quickspecs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=worldwide&type=html&docid=14343

Data Compatibility among all models of Smart Array controllers allows simple and easy upgrades any time needs for higher performance, capacity, and availability increase. Even successive generations of Smart Array controllers understand the data format of other Smart Array Controllers.

Consistency and Upgradeability make the Smart Array family unique in the industry:

• GUI based configuration, management and diagnostic software tools
  • Common data format between generations of products
  • Data migration from B-series to P-series controllers

Since it is supported to go from B-series to P-series controllers, I guess it would be possible to go vice versa. Just make sure the setting for this controller is "RAID"! Once this mode is set (in BIOS), press F8 during boot to go into ACU (now called SSA).

You may consider to use only a single disk for this test, the controller will probably not detect the logical drive (you need both drives for that), but it can tell you about the connection speed.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!