Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS 2008 OEM Reinstall.

NiallCon
Occasional Contributor

SBS 2008 OEM Reinstall.

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is looking to do a fresh re-install of an SBS 2008 (standard edition) server that he owns.

He purchased it from an IT Provider that is no longer in business. As far as he knows, he didn't get any OS media with the machine. There are lots of problems with the current setup and we've decided the best route is a full reinstall and start again. 

The SBS 2008 is an OEM version (just looking at the license key on the machine). The machine is a HP Proliant ML350 G6.

I'm going to borrow the SBS 2008 dvd (I think it's a retail version) from another friend of mine. The idea is to install from DVD and then use the existing OEM license key to activate the SBS OS. The hardware is remaining the same.

Obviously I will backup the machine before going ahead with any of the install but my question is:

What license key / cal info do I need to make a note of before I wipe the machine and where can I find it?

Also

Do you think this will work or will Microsoft recognise that this OEM License key as being assigned to the old install and therefore not permit it's use for the activation?

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Niall