4952 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCO 5.0.7 ML350 G5 Reboot Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cesar Davila Jr

SCO 5.0.7 ML350 G5 Reboot Problem

When doing a shutdown the system hangs after getting the message "The System is Down" It should give you a message saying "safe to power off or reboot" You can not even do a system reset through the keyboard (shft CTRL Alt Del) the only way to continue is to power the server off. Using the command "init 6" gives the same result.
5 REPLIES 5
Lars Hviid
Solution

Hi

Basically your problem is the dual/quad-core on the G5 server.

installing SCO openserver as "usual" and adding the mp5(which hold the microcode to detect the cpu correct) makes the SCO unix available to see and detect all the cpu's. If you do not install the SMP kernel the OS cannot handle the cpu's.

solution:
1)re-install the server with SCO openserver
2) install the smp kernel && the mp5 patch from SCO (do not reboot between the to software packages)
3) reboot
4) install EFS

also take a peak on SCO's home page http://wdb1.sco.com/chwp/owa/hch_model_cert_page?f_model_id=98511&f_release_id=378&f_vendor_search_corp_id=
the graphich card and the NIC also need nursing one the different models

Lars
Cesar Davila Jr

Unfortunately, a complete re-install is not feasible due to the location of the server. The corporation's local IT dept still has not granted me access to maintain the unit where it is installed. I already had installed the EFS and I had installed the maintenance pack (I'll have to check if it was MP4 or MP5 when I am able to log in or talk to one of the local operators and walk him thru the "custom" screen to check it).

I'll post the results as soon as I am able to here.
Lars Hviid

It is still possible to install the smp package, but you need to be carefull

boot to single usermode and install the smp kernel
then before you reboot, install the smp patch found in the rs507d patch and install ONLY that single patch

now you reeboot.

If the system crash(which it can when something went wrong) you can always to unix.save and remove the smp kernel again

Normally it crashes because of
- irq conflict
- cpu not set "map full" in BIOS

Lars
Cesar Davila Jr

Great info. I'll see if it can be done with someone over the phone or if I will have to travel there. Thanks!
Lars Hviid

If you have RILOE installed and can bring it into singleusermode from remote then there should be no problem