1753511 Members
5187 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

SCSI ID changed

MAH_2
Regular Advisor

SCSI ID changed

Hi, I have DL 380 G3 server with 6 *146 GB HDD.
One HDD is online spare. 1 logical drive created in RAID 5. O.S is windows 2000 server.
One HDD failed .When I tried to replace the HDD, HDD is not rebuilding. I checked the ACU.
SCSI ID 4 HDD is faulty. Instead of SCSi ID 4 ther is SCSI ID 6. And the new HDD is showing unconfigured HDD and it has taken the SCSI ID 4. But in the logical drive ,in the failed HDD position it is showing SCSI ID 6. I think HDD is not rebuilding because of that. FW version is 5.28. 5 i controller. Pls tell me the solution to rebuild the HDD.
1 REPLY 1
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Re: SCSI ID changed

There should be a short on the SCSI ID circuitry on the hdd. Check the firmware on the storage controller and drive try updating the firmware and then reseating the hdd.

If the firmware doesnâ t resolve the issue you can fix that by assigning the hard drive with the wrong SCSI ID as a hot spare to the array, so it will try to rebuild from the hotspare. To do that you need to have the optional BBWC Battery option. To add the new hard drive as a hot spare follow the instructions on document on page 14:

Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array Controllers, Refer to page 14 Adding Spare Drives:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00729544/c00729544.pdf

If you donâ t have the optional Battery, perform a full system backup. Replace the faulty SCSI Hard Drive, recreate the array and restore from the backup