3751 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI-Prob with ML350G4P

UNIVARGMBH
Occasional Contributor

SCSI-Prob with ML350G4P

Dear all,

we are having a problem with our new server. When we installed W2003-Server we had to deactivate the onboard SCSI-Adapter. The onboard SCSI together with the SmartArray 6404 controller stopped the windows installation.

So we deactivated the integrated SCSI and installed Windows onto the RAID. After that we activated the integrated SCSI. Windows recognized the new hardware and installed the driver (we tested with the latest one from the web and also the one shipped with the server). After rebooting the server windows isn't starting, it stopped at the windows screen.

Any idea for me - Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I'm not really sure what is causing the issue, but I can give a few things to try.

Make sure all the controllers have current firmware, as well the server BIOS is current.

Check the boot controller order in the BIOS (F9). I know if it is booting it should be correct, but there's a possibility it could be second and since nothing is connected to the SCSI controller, it skips it, and in doing this causes an odd issue.

Make sure all the drivers installed are HP drivers for this server/OS/controller config.

Software Directory (To get the software page for any server and O/S)
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html

Hope this helps, post back with any other details or qustions.

Chris
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
UNIVARGMBH
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your answer Chris.

I'm using the latest firmware/drivers for everything. I have tested a little bit more and came closer to the problem:

I have connected the LVD-Cable from the HP cable kit to Channel 1 of the SCSI controller and the Ultra-Wide-Cable to Channel 2.

Starting with both channels activated within the bios the server stops loading at the windows start screen.

Starting with Channel 1 activated/Channel 2 deactivated the server starts up succesful.

Starting with Channel 1 deactivated/Channel 2 activated the server stops again loading at the windows start screen.

So it seems to be a problem with the channel where the Ultra-Wide-Cable is connected.

During all of the three configurations the driver loaded succesful and scanned the channel (and found connected devices).

Any hint will be helpful - Thanks again.
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello,

That is fairly odd. The only other situation I could think of is that there is an issue with the cable. Did you try booting with both channels activated without it connected to anything?

If it is failing without anything connected, I would suggest hardware failure.

What is the config of your setup? Which controllers are connected to what drives etc...

Chris
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright