1753797 Members
7669 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI RAID Controller replacement strategy

Lane Burris
Occasional Contributor

SCSI RAID Controller replacement strategy

I have several Proliant ML570's (700MHz) with dual 431 SCSI RAID controllers that I would like to replace with 5304/256. My drive arrays are setup as a RAID 5 with a hot spare. Can I just replace the controller, or do I need to backup, reformat and rebuild the array?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Re: SCSI RAID Controller replacement strategy

Hi Lane,
I don???t think you need to reformat&reintall although its always good to have backups of all the system if anything does not go right. You cannot just swap the cards. These cards uses different drivers (the 431 uses the cpqarry2.sys) and the 53xx uses cpqcissm.sys. You will need to install the 5304 card next to the other 431 with no scsi cable (it does not matter) and then run the CSP for you os making sure the driver for the 5300 gets copied to you /driver/system32 folder. Making sure its being recognized on post as well. Also at the 1st step you might have to do the bios upgrade on the system board. Then move the cable to the 5300 and changing the scsi boot order to show the 5300 instead of the 431 in your bios. You probably want to do one card at a time. But again make sure you do have a good backup and you can also call tech support for more info 1800.652.6672
Hope this will help
Claude
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Hi Lane,
You also would want to use the special branded cable made for the 53xx controller.
claude
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Teorically you don??t have to do anything, all the controllers are backwards compatibility. It??s probably that the new SCSI Controller recognized the discs ant the RAID level, but If you are going to do anything, you must have backup, always

Lane Burris
Occasional Contributor

Claude,

I'm presuming that this "special cable" will span all 12 drives to one channel. If that is the case, what is the part number I would need to order?

Thanks,
Lane
Lane Burris
Occasional Contributor

One more question ...

Once I replace the controller (using the existing cabling), can I enable the ADG function without having to remove the data and restore after rebuilding? Currently I have a RAID 5 with one hot spare drive.

Thanks,
Lane
Mark Mc Daniels
Advisor

You should be able to enable the adg for the controller, but the firmware for the 5304 must 1.62 or higher.
Lane Burris
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know the part number that Claude referenced in his message where he said "You also would want to use the special branded cable made for the 53xx controller"?

Thanks!