ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752632 Members
5909 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI cabling for the DL380G$4

Johan Drummen

SCSI cabling for the DL380G$4

I have several brandnew DL380G4 with 2 or 6 internal SCSI disks. I wanted to connect an DLT device to the external vhdci scsi. At first i connected the dlt on a running system. The device was correctly recognized. When i reboot the system the system gives an error "This model only supports LVD enclosures and devices" Is it possible to connect an external DLT to the Smart Array together with the disk drives. Which other solutions are there available. In time these systems will be connected to the SAN but for the moment i was looking for a cheap temporary solution.
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: SCSI cabling for the DL380G$4

I'm not positively, but you might not catch same error if 64/66MHz Card can be used with server
or you might see Unsupported device message
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=348759-001
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10429_div/10429_div.HTML
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

What kind of dlt unit are you trying to connect? The only one that will function properly, is a DLT8000 (40/80GB). It is not supported to connect a dlt unit on a smart array controller.
Off the record... you got the message about what is SUPPORTED.....but did it function? (for the time being)

Leon
Johan Drummen

I know i can install another controller to support the DLT unit but because it is only for e few month I was looking for the cheapest way.
I have connected an DLT7000 and later a SDLT160/320. The difference is that with the DLT7000 the Smart Array gives an error and can not boot from the coonected disks. With de SDLT it gives an error and then start booting from the disks. The SDLT is not available. When you boot the system and then connect the tape device it comes in the list of available devices. I have not tested writing the backup.
For the moment i installed an Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller wich we had as spare. In combination with de SDLT it works. We will see for how long. I will also do this test with an DLT7000