1753922 Members
7734 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI disk not detected

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

SCSI disk not detected

After running Smart Start, we try to install (using the manual installation option. assisted option is not supported for this software) Microsoft Small Business Server 4.5, but the installation does not detect the SCSI disk or array. We try to select manually the Compaq 32 fast-wide SCSI option and also the Compaq disk array but it does not detect it at all.
How can we correct that problem?
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: SCSI disk not detected

Make sure there is no ~36MB "EISA" or "Non-DOS" partition on this system. SBS 4.5 is completely imcompatible to that type of partition and will fail to load.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the Same Problem with NT 4.0 Server, Tried Workstation. Will go and remove all partitions and try it. I hope it works, I have to starting implementing the System Tommorow. It's Driving me Mad.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have tried removing all Partitions on the Scsi Disk and it still will not recognise any Scsi Drives Installed. I know the Scsi drives work, because I can Fdisk and format them in Dos.

I have downloaded the Latest SSD and used the SDD Scsi Drivers on the Smartstart 4.90a Cd. It finds the Scsi Controller when I load the driver, but not the Disks. I have got a 18GB 10k Compaq Ultra Scsi Drive on Channel 1 ID0 and a 12/24GB Compaq Dat on Channel 2 ID6. Pretty Standard, both using the supplied Ultra160 Cable and Ultra Scsi Cable for Removable Devices.

It will not work with NT 4 Server, NT 4 Wkst, NT 4 Tsrv. What to do? Help... I have setup plenty Compaq Servers and never come across this problem, but it is a newish model.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I'm still suffering this problem, i to install windows nt 4 on compaq ML350, i used Smart Start to get the windows driver for the array and scsi, but its not detecting the hard disk. please i have spent a lot of time for this. and it's still unsolved
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Finally i found the solution from compaq site its
YOU MUST press F6 while booting from win nt
) Run SmartStart 2) Create the 4 NT install diskettes 3) If booting from NT4 cd start hitting F6 when cd starts to boot, under win2k hit F6 when you seee the prompt. 4) At the next window, select S to specify mass storage device. 5) At the next window, select Other 6) Insert SSD diskette with scsi subdirectory ; (disk 2 currently) 7) Select "Compaq Integrated Smart Array\42xx Controllers" 8) At the next window, select S to specify more mass storage devices 9) At the next window, hit the UP arrow and select IDE CD-ROM 10) Continue hitting S to specify mass storage devices until all scsi and array drivers are recognized 11) Proceed with rest of NT installation