ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753484 Members
4526 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI drive failure after upgrade

Todd Payne

SCSI drive failure after upgrade

We are having trouble with our scsi controller after applying the ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 version 7.51A, including Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP ProLiant ML350 G4p (D19) Ver: 2006.02.15,

We get the following messages in the event log:
Event ID: 15, Source: Disk, "The device, \Device\Harddisk1, is not ready for access yet."
Event ID: 129, Source: LSI_SCSI, no message
Event ID: 11, Source Lsi_scsi, "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort0."

eventually the system hangs and automated system recovery restarts the server which takes about 40 minutes to reboot.

After rolling back the HP ProLiant 64-Bit/133-MHz Single and Dual Channel Ultra320 Adapters driver from
version 1.21.8.0. to 1.10.1.0. we are back in business and boot up time is less than 5 minutes.

We use these channels to connect a Promise Ultra Trak SX8000 external disk array. Is anyone noticing similiar problems with this hardware and has anyone successfully used the Promise Ultra Trak SX8000 with the new scsi driver.

Thanks
Todd P Payne
Northshore Utility District.
7 REPLIES 7
Jeffry A Spain
Advisor

I'm seeing the same errors after installing the 7.51 Support Pack on a DL380 with a Dual Channel Ultra 320 controller. Backup Exec is now failing. I'm going to look for a newer driver or perhaps roll back to a previous version. Do you have any new information on this issue? Thanks.

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School
Andrea Lato
Occasional Advisor

I had the same problem upgrading from Support Pack 7.30 to 7.80 on W2003 Ent SP1. The driver 1.21.8.0 causes multiple events
Event ID: 11, Source Lsi_scsi, "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort3." (and RaidPort4)

This controller is dedicated to external tapes. Rolling back to 1.10.5.2 (with some troubles, since only one of the two controller ports accepted to be rolled back and I had to delete all traces of the new driver) removed the error.
I found nothing in the KB: is there any suggestion about this problem?
Jeffry A Spain
Advisor

Nothing new in the last year from my perspective. We're still using driver version 1.10.5.2 and haven't had any problems with it. Jeff.
siteops

anyone have a link as to where i can download driver version 10.1.5.2?
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

You can get the version 1.10.5.2 at:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22559.html

It's simple, you just have to click on the version history link & then click the version you are looking for. :)
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, it's called "revision history".
Jeffry A Spain
Advisor

This evening I installed the latest version 1.24.4.0 of the Ultra 320 SCSI driver (see http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27273.html). This is a component of the latest Proliant support pack v7.90.

It seems to be working well for the time being. I successfully ran a tape inventory job with Backup Exec 11D. There were no errors reported in the event log.

We'll see what happens this weekend when the next full tape backup job runs.

Meanwhile I am cautiously optimistic about the new SCSI driver.