4480 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI drives in port 2 not recognized

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mustapha Ned

SCSI drives in port 2 not recognized

I have started installing proliant ML530 using smartsart 5.2; at array configuration step, the 6 SCSI drives attached to port 1 appear but the 2 SCSI drives attached to port 2 are not visible;
The 2 disque drives are not damaged because when I invert them with disques from port 1, they are detected.
Does anyone have any suggestion?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

Reverse the cables that go to port 1 and 2 of the controller and see if those drive you can see move to the other port. If they do, you have a bad cable. If visible drives stay on the same port, you have a bad port on the controller. I suspect a bent pin on the cable connector.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

You have the optional drive cage installed or is this the ML530 G2?

Do the drives get power when the machine is powered on? Which array controller is this?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mustapha Ned

I didn't understand what does it mean optional drive cage but the server has 2 ports: port 1 with 6 SCSI drives and port 2 with 2 SCSI drives and it's not ML530 G2, just ML530.
Yes, The drives get power when the machine is powered on; also the tape drive which is attached to port 2 is detected.
The server has Smart array 5300 controller.
thanks in advance.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

The reason I ask is the fact this server always ships with one drive cage installed. The second is always added afterward.

Have you moved the cable off the back of the first drive cage and connected it to the second drive cage, while still leaving on port one on the array controller? I would recommend trying this, since it's likely there's something wrong with the cabling somewhere (scsi or power).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mustapha Ned

You're right: it's a scsci connecting problem; the second drive cage was not connected at all; and also we discovered another problem: the cable connecting the second drive cage was connected in the orther side to the motherboard instead of RAID card.
the problem is now solved.
I greatly appreciate your help.