1752292 Members
4793 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI port and tape drive on rear of DL380-G4

Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

SCSI port and tape drive on rear of DL380-G4

Is it reasonable to expect a SONY Tape Library to work when plugged into the rear built-in SCSI on a DL380-G4. Using Veritas Backup Exec Drivers?
3 REPLIES 3
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: SCSI port and tape drive on rear of DL380-G4

Hi,

the external onboard SCSI port is controlled by the Smart Array controller, which does not support any libraries or autoloaders. The only external tape devices supported are standalone tape drives. You would need a separate SCSI adapter.

Regards,
Stephen
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
Again this boils down to what will work versus what's supported. If you want HP to help when things go pear shaped then fit another PCI card. If you have the internal disks non-duplexed hanging off just one of the 6i's buses then the other "should" work fine with a one drive library if it works with a standalone drive.

If it was my box and I was paying for support and I wanted HP to fix it if it went wrong I would stick to the rules and shell out for another card. I wouldn't gamble with my backups if the data is worth anything.
HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

I've put in a separate SCSI adapter, curious what the difference is between supporting standalone drives and not libraries is.

Thanks