ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753297 Members
6806 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI ports on Smart Array 6i inside DL380 G4?

HiTek Rdnk

SCSI ports on Smart Array 6i inside DL380 G4?

While building a server I inadvertently assigned my two arrays to two different SCSI ports. Now I can't use the external port for my tape library! Is there any way to move one of the arrays to the other port without losing all data?
Example: I have a system mirror on Port1 and a Raid5 on Port2.
9 REPLIES 9
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

1) I will recommend having an additional U320 adapter for Tape drives. The idea is not to use the same controller as the HIGH speed HDDs would. (tape works on MUCH slower speeds)... Down the lane... there will be issues.

2) I think that can be done assuming "DRIVE ROAMING" is supported.

(havent tried that yet, Please wait for others to comment)
HiTek Rdnk

I did add a PCI SCSI card and it does recognize the loader and drive during boot! However Windows 2k3 won't recognize the loader and drive. I loaded the most up-to-date drivers for the cards and rebooted. Maybe I am missing some configuration step.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

please specify which PCI card have u added.
HiTek Rdnk

Adaptec 2120S from previous server.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

HiTek Rdnk

I had wondered about that but the website says it will and the drivers I downloaded were for 2k3.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

To answer your original question, yes you can move the drives all on to the one port so that you can use the external SCSI interface again.

However as previously mentioned you'll get better performance by installing the tape onto a separate SCSI card.

Cheers,

Rob
HiTek Rdnk

Rob,

Would you be able to explain the process or point me to where I can find how to perform the port change. This is a production system that hasn't been backed up for some time. Even if it slows things down a little I need to get the backups working ASAP.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

OK. Take a look at the picture on page 59 of the maintenance and service guide here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00687567/c00687567.pdf

That's how you need to have the SCSI ports configured to be able to access the external interface.

After you move things around, the SmartArray controller will probably make some noise about the disks being in different places, but you should just be able to hit a function key to continue.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob