ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1745866 Members
4233 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SE316M1 G6 - stuck in system maintenance mode?

essdeeay1
Occasional Visitor

SE316M1 G6 - stuck in system maintenance mode?

I've just purchased a used SE316M1, which I think is basically a close cousin of the DL160.  Upon starting it up, it complains that the "System Maintenance switch is in the ON position", and to power off the server and turn it to the OFF position.  From the manual, I can see the 'switch' is actually a bank of jumpers (J27 to be precise) and I've tried these in the OFF position but it's still in maintenance mode.  However, the location of J27 in the manual is not the same location as on the motherboard.

In the manual (http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c01728029-10.pdf), pages 109-110 describe the location of J27 and the settings for the bank of 5 jumpers.  However, J27 on my motherboard is not in the place the manual says it is - mine is as shown here (http://i.imgur.com/6y9L8LC.jpg).

So:

• there's a discrepancy in the manual perhaps?
  • no matter if I set the jumpers as per picture, or I remove all 5, I still get the "System Maintenance switch is ON" message.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Steve

5 REPLIES 5
Martin_from_dk

Try heating the chipset with a blowdryer before powering on - seems strange, but solved it for me.

tuxberlin
Occasional Visitor

Nearly same problem for me, but with iLo2 override.

System keeps telling me the "Security Overide Switch" is set. But there is no jumper or switch set.
Also, the J27 is not where the manual quotes, as well as no jumper is even discribed as "security override"

Never seen so bad documentation than in HP docs.

essdeeay1
Occasional Visitor

Just to let you know that a) yes, the hair-dryer trick did work, and b) I couldn't take the hair-dryer into the data-centre, but if you leave the machine on for 30 minutes or so for the chips to warm up (it should keep trying to boot), it will then work.

Best wishes, Steve

tuxberlin
Occasional Visitor

Hey Steve,
thanks for your reply.

I was not allowed hairdryer or heatgun in the datacenter, but system is up and running for about 5 continuous days now, should be warmed up enough.

Still after reboots this message keeps appearing in iLO.
Am I actually working on the correct jumpers? As said the documentation won't even mention an override jumper or switch as well as the position of j27 is not as stated in the manual.

Regards
Tobias
djwilsh

Not sure if you have this sorted but the jumper is stated in the manual and that pic of yours is not the jumper. The jumper is the little block labeled 1-8. and if you flip the number 1 to the opposite it will take it out of maintance mode. the others 1-5 also work i think like boot from uefi ect.

hope this helps