1747984 Members
4338 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL180 G6 Rack Server - Fan speed constantly at 80%

qeedy
Frequent Visitor

SE326M1 - DL180 G6 Rack Server - Fan speed constantly at 80%

I purchased a "SE326M1 G6 Twin Xeon Hex Core L5640 48GB RAM 2U HP Proliant DL180 G6 Rack Server" on eBay. As it didn't come with any hard drives I bought four caddies and some third party SATA hard drives. The computer as such works but the fans run constantly on 80% fan speed and thus it sounds like a rocket.

The iLO 2 logging shows the following warning:

"POST Error: 1717-Slot X Drive Array - The Following Drive(s) Are Reporting an Overheated Condition:"

The iLO 2 temperature reading for storage area (five separate readings) displays "OK" and 0 Centigrade for all five. Therefore I presume that the "Sea of Sensors" set the fan speed 80% because there is no temperature reading available for the storage area sensors.

My current conclusion is that either;

1. the hard drives don't have a temperature sensor and I need to use four certified HP hard drives

2. the sensors on the Drive Cage Assembly ( HP 530946-001 ) are defective

3. the empty hdd bays need to be filled with blanks

To rule out all those possibles I would have to spend quite a bit of money and time and I therefore have the following questions.

Questions:

1. Do the HDD drives actually have a temperature sensor at all? If they have, is that temperature read by the Sea of Sensors?

2. Would iLO 2 display a temperature for the "storage area" even if there is no HDD drive in any of the 25 bays at all? If this is the case, this would tell me that the sensors of Drive Cage Assembly are defective.

3. Does filling the HDD bays with blanks make the temperature sensors start working? What I wonder is if the blanks have some electronic or similar or whether they are just blank pieces of plastic?

8 REPLIES 8
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

TRY  to update iLO firmware and BIOS, after that re-check IML Log

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The DL180G6 has no ILO at all, but a "HP ProLiant Lights Out 100i Remote Management".

If you point your browser to this LO100 and select "Monitoring Sensor", what exactly can you see there?

I guess the smart array controller (a P400?) cannot read the temperature from the disks.

The blanks are just plastic.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
qeedy
Frequent Visitor

Re: SE326M1 - DL180 G6 Rack Server - Fan speed constantly at 80%

Prior to this post, I had already updated iLO 2 from version 2.07 to 2.23. I actually did this while SmartStart Diagnostic was running and interestingly I there observed that the fans went down from 80% to 60% right after the iLO version changed from 2.07 to 2.13. All subsequent updates (i.e. 2.15, 2.22, 2.23) did not alter the fans speed.

However after all the fans go up to 80% regardless when the operating system is running (i.e. Ubuntu with supported HP tools installed).

So I would say that updating iLO had an affect on the fans but this only changes the fan speed to 60% while SmartStart is running. Once the machine has booted into the OS, the fan speed is back to 80%.

I do not have updated the BIOS yet.

qeedy
Frequent Visitor

I have now changed the title to clarify that the machine model is a SE326M1. As of other posts I learned that SE326M1 is a DL 180 G6 but with iLO. The RAID controller installed is a P410.

"HP Smart Array P410 Controller (256MB, v2.74)"

As of your feedback I gathered that installing blanks will not make a difference.

Please see link below for screen shots.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/egu7nd7hcrnuop4/1eOwiJj04o

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

First I would update the P410 firmware to 6.40

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
qeedy
Frequent Visitor

Based on your suggestion, I have placed the HP Service Pack for ProLiant on a USB key and then let automatically install the updates. I presume it did install a number of patches to bring everything onto the latest patch level.

The P410 Controller is now on version v6.40 but the situation remained unchanged.

While going through the list of available patches for the RAID controller, I realized that there are a whole list of different hard drives patches. This makes me wonder if my 3rd party hard drives might simply not support the temperature sensors.

I probably going to buy the original/ supported HP hard drives to see whether this makes a difference.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I have now changed the title to clarify that the machine model is a SE326M1.

You can also change the titles of all posts you made.

qeedy
Frequent Visitor

I've replaced the four 3rd party HDD with HP DG146BAAJB hard drives and run the HP Service Pack USB with the corresponding HDD drivers to be on the latest patches.

Now, the fans stay at 47% while booting and while the OS is running under moderate load. In other words, using the supported HP drives made a positive difference.

However after all, the temperature reading for the "Storage Zone" in iLO 2 remained at 0C and the machine is still very noisy. BTW, I have now tested with MS Windows 2012 Server and Ubuntu were it shows exactly the same fan speed of 47%.

Question:

4. Does the "Storage Zone" on your servers show an actual temperature or only 0C?

5. What is the fan speed on your server when the OS is running but not doing much?

Your input is much appreciated!