3160 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SFF Drive Cage installation

EDUARDO Mario
Occasional Advisor

SFF Drive Cage installation

I installed a 2nd sff drive cage in my dl350 G6
all works, but the LEDs on the drives in the 2nd cage dont work. e.g. when i select a drive in the first sff cage in the array config util the corresponding blue LED is turned on. but not if the drive is located in the 2nd cage.
another info: the blue LED of drive 3 and 7 of the 2nd sff is ALWAYS on, regardless if a drive is inserted in this slot or not.

Any idea ?
11 REPLIES 11
TTr
Honored Contributor

I assume you also installed a raid controller (P411) for this second cage?Ensure the SAS cables are firmly plugged in to the controller and second cage.
EDUARDO Mario
Occasional Advisor

Cables checked, all ok

I installed a SAS expander card, i dont know if this card is a P411.

I connected the 2 SAS Ports from the main board to the SAS expander, and from the SAS Expander to the two shelfs.

I am not sure, whether i must set a jumper on the second shelf or not.

in the ACU, physical view, the first shelf is shown as shelf 1, bay 1-8
the second shelf is shown as shelf 1, all disks are in the SAME bay 0 ??!!

TTr
Honored Contributor

The SAS expander card will work (it is not a P411). You should have 6 wires on the SAS exp card, 2 coming from the system board, two going out to the first cage and two going out to the second cage.

Since both cages show up as shelf 1 it appears that you don't have all 6 cables connected.
EDUARDO Mario
Occasional Advisor

IMHO all cables are connected. i am copying now 300GB (!!!) of Data from the boot array to the new one. No Drive leds are lighting except that from drive bay 3 (no ACU opened)is alway blue.

A strange information comes in the ACU, physical view: it shows (in german)
500GB SATA Drive on Port4C, Cage 1, Bay ATTR_VALUE_BAY_UNKNOWN (!!), in the P410i BIOS it shows this drive in bay 55 (!!)
TTr
Honored Contributor

Install the latest firmware on the P410i and the SAS expander card. Similar problems with multiple cages have been reported in the past.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1379239

You did not confirm that you are using 6 SAS connectors on the SAS expander card as I mentioned above.

Also ensure that the cables are installed in the right ports in pairs.

See cabling diagram (from a DL785) http://docs.hp.com/en/AH233-9003B/ch05s04.html
EDUARDO Mario
Occasional Advisor

The system runs fine ! i copied just now 300GB to the array where the LEDs dont show the drive activity. Thereof cabling should be OK.
I can find ALL drives in the ACU!! 8 SAS 146GB 10K drives in the first cage, 6 SATA 500GB 7K2 drives in the 2nd cage. ONLY the LEDs ..... Also the 6 SATA Drives are member of the R10 array.
I did an Update with the PSP and the FW DVD
today.
EDUARDO Mario
Occasional Advisor

what is that strange 500GB SATA Drive on Port4C, Cage 1, Bay **ATTR_VALUE_BAY_UNKNOWN** in the ACU ?
TTr
Honored Contributor

Check these posts

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1399699

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1231200

You keep refusing to check the cables.

You MUST handle the cable connectors and push them in the connector firmly or reseat the connection (pull the cable out and re-insert it firmly).
Manuel Boosch
Frequent Advisor

i didnt had the same problem with the leds but similar. i connectet the power cable from the drive cage to the power board on the wrong power slot. dunnow why but the power slots are defined for one drive cage slot only. maybe it helps

regards