1752795 Members
5888 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SLES10 SP1 64-bit on DL385 G2

MP James
Occasional Advisor

SLES10 SP1 64-bit on DL385 G2

so far, I have not been able to install this OS on the hardware I have.

The problem seems to be centered around the array controller. A P400 Smart Array card is present, configured with one logical drive (RAID 5), but the SuSE install CD says it doesn't detect any hard drives.

I downloaded the latest 64-bit cciss driver update disk that I could find. I updated the driver during installation, to no avail.

I used HP Smart Array Firmware Maintenance Release 8.20 and updated all of the firmware. Still can't install OS.

I booted from a Smart Start CD, Release 8.10 and it can detect the Smart Array P400 without a problem. I used the Array Configuration utility on the disk to delete the array and re-create it.

Still won't install SLES10 SP1 x86_64, or i386 either.

Does anybody have any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
SMR
Valued Contributor

James,

So basically you followed the instructions for the diskette update install...

" 1. Boot from the SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 10 disc 1. A list of options will appear in a menu list for 20 seconds. You must select Installation, press F6 for Driver Update and then press Enter.
2. Insert the driver diskette when prompted. Press Enter.
3. A dialog will be presented with the message "Please choose the Driver Update Medium". From the menu list, select fd0 (floppy), select the OK button and press Enter.
4. The driver diskette will be scanned and you will see the message "Reading the Driver Update..." and then the message Driver Update OK. Press Enter.
5. The dialog in step 4 will reappear. Select Back and press Enter.. "

...does it fail at any of these steps?
MP James
Occasional Advisor

OK, I followed the procedure just as you noted (except in SLES10 SP1, you hit F5 for driver updates).

One difference - I do not have internal CD/DVD or floppy drives. I booted from an external CD/DVD USB drive and had the driver updates on a USB drive also.

The driver update process did not fail at any of the steps. After driver update was complete, the SLES install begins. After accepting the license agreement, the installer displays a message that it cannot detect any hard drives.

That's where I'm stuck.
SMR
Valued Contributor

James,

During POST, it does show a logical drive was found all the time right? Have you reseated cables AND the card?
MP James
Occasional Advisor

Yes, that's also weird. During POST, it does show 1 logical drive. (8 drives in a RAID 5 array) I have reseated the card, the cables and the 8 drives in the box. All the drives are showing green lights.

I still get the same result.
SMR
Valued Contributor

Can you try with SLES 10 with no SP1 on it? Maybe the problem is the USB floppy???
MP James
Occasional Advisor

When the logical volumes are created with the Option ROM Array Utility (by pressing F8 during bootup), they are NOT recognized by SLES10 install disk. Using a driver update disk does not help.

Instead, I created the array and logical volumes with the SmartStart CD (release 8.10) and the installation went great! No need for driver update disk during install, either.

Thanks for your help.
random10

Hi Just want to find out, i have the same problem, just i can;t get the update driver disk created.
Is there a u til that i can use?
MP James
Occasional Advisor

Download the appropriate SmartStart .iso file and create a CD. (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantessentials/foundationpack/downloads.html) Boot from the CD and set up the RAID array from the GUI.

Then boot from disk 1 of your new OS.

This works for me.

Setting up the RAID array from the BIOS doesn't work.

I downloaded the floppy image utility. It failed to create a floppy - the same as you reported.