cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMART ARRAY 641, 642 & EMBEBED DUAL CHANNEL - SPARE DISK

Christhian J. Chamba P.
Occasional Advisor

SMART ARRAY 641, 642 & EMBEBED DUAL CHANNEL - SPARE DISK

I have a question, I have 3 Controllers SCSI: Smart Array the 641, 642 & Embebed Dual Channel Ultra3 in three servers a ML 350 G3, ML 350 G4 & ML 370.

My question are The three controllers support a Spare Disk? or Which of them support Spare Disk?.

In the case that some controller support Spare Disk my question is How I do the installation of the one disk like Spare Disk?

P.D.:My english is not good
3 REPLIES
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: SMART ARRAY 641, 642 & EMBEBED DUAL CHANNEL - SPARE DISK

Christhian,
all modern SmartArray controllers can support spare disk in array. So, you can create array with spare disk on SmartArray 641 and SmartArray 642 controllers.
Embebed Ultra3 SCSI controller cannot be used for hardware RAID at all, you can only create software RAID with this type of controller. Software RAID is not recommended in most cases and you cannot use spare disk with software RAID.
See "Array Configuration Utility User Guide"
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294139/c00294139.pdf
(page 26 and other pages) for information how to add spare disk to array.

Christhian J. Chamba P.
Occasional Advisor

Igor,

I work with with ACU and I don't know who configure Sapre Disk, can ou help me with this?...
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Open ACU, go to "Configuration wizards" -> Spare management, select array you would add spare, select drive you want add as spare and click "Finish"
Read this article (from ACU help) as well:
"Spare Management
Adding a Spare
This option is only available when there are at least three or more physical drives on the controller, since the minimum number of drives in a RAID 1+0 - Drive Mirroring configuration is two and RAID 0 - No Fault Tolerance doesn't allow spares. Multiple online spares can be assigned to each array, and these drives can be used as a spare by more than one array. If a spare has already been assigned to an array, it can also be assigned to another array. This reduces the amount of disk space that remains unused while the spare(s) wait for drive(s) to fail.
Removing a Spare
This option is only available when there is at least one physical drive being used as a spare on an array. To remove a drive from all of the arrays using it as a spare, each array must be chosen separately and then select the drive for removal.
Your first option will be to select the array you want to add or remove spare(s) from, selected from the available arrays listed.
The next option will be to select the drive(s) you want to add or remove from the array from the available physical drives listed. Check the drive(s) you would like to add to an array or Uncheck the drive(s) to remove them from an array.
Note: Only physical drives of the same size (within 10 percent) should be added to the same array because all the drives within an array are reduced to the size of the smallest physical drive. For example, an array with three 2.1-GB drives and a 4.3-GB drive would be viewed as being the same size as an array with four 2.1-GB drives since the 4.3-GB drive is seen as a 2.1-GB drive."