1748236 Members
3528 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SMART Array Configuration

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

SMART Array Configuration

Just aquired a ProLiant5000 and tossed in 3 x 2gb SCSI drives. POST says the array is not configured, run SMART SCSI config utility. Where do I get this beast? I can't find it in the support area of the website.
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Additional Info... I found a file called cp000358.exe that was SUPPOSED to contain the Smart Array config utility, but when I execute the program, it sits for a moment and ends, never "unpacking" the diskette images it is supposed to create.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You need to make bootable disks to run the Compaq System Configuration (the best bet is to use the bootable CD "SmartStart", which has all that stuff on it).

Make sure to open the side panel and read the instructions inside, concerning connecting scsi devices to the motherboard. Even with a smartarray controller, something has to be plugged into the motherboard (the CD rom would work). Anyway, make sure to read the instructions on the inside of the side panel.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks, erose, for the reply... first one in OVER A WEEK!!! My understanding from the website is that the file cp000358.exe, when run on another PC, is supposed to CREATE a bootable diskette, and place a copy of the config utility on the diskette. But, unlike other Compaq files I've downloaded that DID create the diskette, this one file doesn't work. But try to find a phone number or working email address to notify the webmaster!!!
Where would I get a the bootable CD you mentioned (SmartStart) for a system as old as this one? It probably would work, since I can boot from a Windows 98 CD, it just can't find any harddrive space to allocate for installation.

Jim
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The bootable CD is referred to as a smartstart cd - look at www.compaq.com/smartstart. You can download a older version of the array config utility (filename sp6263.exe) but if your array controller has been configured with version 2 or later of the array config, going back to the old array config can cause loss of data. The newer Array config utilitys only run from smartstart, or from a running NT system.