1752397 Members
5868 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SMART CONTROLLER 221 ROM OFFLINE FLASH

Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

SMART CONTROLLER 221 ROM OFFLINE FLASH

Looking for instructions on flashing ROM for SMART Controller 221 offline. I currently have 4.32 and will not allow online flash of 4.50 with anything prior to 4.40
THANKS
Wayne
12 REPLIES 12
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Wayne,

try this:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14694.html

YOu only need to create the first disk. Cold-boot from it and you can update your Firmware.

Regards,
Stephen
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Exactly as Stephen say's - works like Magic
Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

Not working for me. Besides the need to upgrade to current controller firmware, I am trying to abolish possible discrepant messages stating a drive failure is iniment. These messages after I have rebuilt to new drive. I was unable to boot from neither SP19677 diskettes 1 or 4. Tried COLD boot twice and warm boot once. During COLD boot no messages occurred, waited over 2 minutes after floppy drive (A:\) was apparently not being accessed and black screen. Double-checked current firmware to still be 4.32 Any possibility that I need to Flash to 4.40 first. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Wayne
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

can you boot from floppy drive with bootable Win 98 or Win 2000 ?
Floppy drive is good known ?
Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

Nope, thanks - P'eees me off that I didnt think of it. Just because the light comes on, Don't mean anyones home! Going to try burning to a CD with CD being 2nd in line for boot-up. Meanwhile I will order the f-drive, a fan, possibly upgrade controller to 431 and upgrade memory before replacing server next quarter. I'll let you know if I have any luck off the CD. Any other suggestions.
Thanks
Wayne
p.s. Please don't suggest a lobotomy, I need all I have. ( :
Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

Still No Luck...
Guess original problem was I had formatted floppies on WIN98se system and was unable to read them on the NT4.0 server. After formatting floppy on NT server was able to read it, ran utility & created floppy #1. Inserted floppy, Performed a Cold boot and although floppy was intially being accessed I ended up at the same black screen with no indication of any process. Waited 10 minutes to ensure I was not just being impatient. Nothing... Other Ideas/Suggestions? Please...
Thanks,
Wayne
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Wayne, if Online fails for you to flash there should be explanation why: in some cases it requires driver to be installed Firstly, is all your agents up to date.
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html
Do you have other Server to move 221 around for flash Process?
Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

Yes there is a reason, Actually my initial request for assistance explains as follows:
This support is the reason I will continue to invest in this Brand product.
Wayne

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/index.html

Select SMART-2 than 221 & O/S ....

Each Link Has Revision History when you open latest Driver or Flash than between lines you can find one that you need.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/revision/2863.html