cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMART CONTROLLER 221 ROM OFFLINE FLASH

Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

SMART CONTROLLER 221 ROM OFFLINE FLASH

Looking for instructions on flashing ROM for SMART Controller 221 offline. I currently have 4.32 and will not allow online flash of 4.50 with anything prior to 4.40
THANKS
Wayne
12 REPLIES
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: SMART CONTROLLER 221 ROM OFFLINE FLASH

Hi Wayne,

try this:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14694.html

YOu only need to create the first disk. Cold-boot from it and you can update your Firmware.

Regards,
Stephen
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Exactly as Stephen say's - works like Magic
Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

Not working for me. Besides the need to upgrade to current controller firmware, I am trying to abolish possible discrepant messages stating a drive failure is iniment. These messages after I have rebuilt to new drive. I was unable to boot from neither SP19677 diskettes 1 or 4. Tried COLD boot twice and warm boot once. During COLD boot no messages occurred, waited over 2 minutes after floppy drive (A:\) was apparently not being accessed and black screen. Double-checked current firmware to still be 4.32 Any possibility that I need to Flash to 4.40 first. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Wayne
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

can you boot from floppy drive with bootable Win 98 or Win 2000 ?
Floppy drive is good known ?
Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

Nope, thanks - P'eees me off that I didnt think of it. Just because the light comes on, Don't mean anyones home! Going to try burning to a CD with CD being 2nd in line for boot-up. Meanwhile I will order the f-drive, a fan, possibly upgrade controller to 431 and upgrade memory before replacing server next quarter. I'll let you know if I have any luck off the CD. Any other suggestions.
Thanks
Wayne
p.s. Please don't suggest a lobotomy, I need all I have. ( :
Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

Still No Luck...
Guess original problem was I had formatted floppies on WIN98se system and was unable to read them on the NT4.0 server. After formatting floppy on NT server was able to read it, ran utility & created floppy #1. Inserted floppy, Performed a Cold boot and although floppy was intially being accessed I ended up at the same black screen with no indication of any process. Waited 10 minutes to ensure I was not just being impatient. Nothing... Other Ideas/Suggestions? Please...
Thanks,
Wayne
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Wayne, if Online fails for you to flash there should be explanation why: in some cases it requires driver to be installed Firstly, is all your agents up to date.
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html
Do you have other Server to move 221 around for flash Process?
Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

Yes there is a reason, Actually my initial request for assistance explains as follows:
This support is the reason I will continue to invest in this Brand product.
Wayne

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/index.html

Select SMART-2 than 221 & O/S ....

Each Link Has Revision History when you open latest Driver or Flash than between lines you can find one that you need.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/revision/2863.html

Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

When I select SMART-2, 221 & NT4.0 I get a page which includes firware current version
Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Compaq SMART-2 Family and Smart Array 221» 4.50 B
With NO previos version info or link. Sane thing when I look at revision history. Where do I get the 4.40 Flash utility so that I can flash and then flah to 4.50.
Thsnks
Way
Wayne Davis
Occasional Advisor

Anyone? Current firmware 4.32 Need to Flash to 4.40 before proceeding to latest firmware version. Anyone know exactly where to find 4.40 firmware flash?
THANKS
WAYNE
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/9434.html

Wayne there is migration from ver. 4.32 to ver. 4.44 seemd 4.40 is not exist
try 4.44