1753914 Members
9062 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SMART is OFF - How do I turn it ON?

Wesley W.D. Summers
Frequent Advisor

SMART is OFF - How do I turn it ON?

I have a 4.3GB 7200RPM Wide-SCSI Drive (Model MAB3045SC) that for some reasons UNKNOWN to me has S.M.A.R.T. turned OFF.

I would like to turn it ON, but have no idea how to do it. I guess I have to use my SmartStart CD, but I can't find anything that suggests it will do it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards, Wesley,
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

HI,

Please spewcify which server are you refering to. prior to that do check the same infomration under system configuration utility or rbsu.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Wesley W.D. Summers
Frequent Advisor

Hi Prashant,

The machine is a ProLiant 5500 Xeon III 550MHz. The card is a Smart Array 3200 flashed to v4.50.

I am using the Array Diagnostic Utility of SmartStart v5.00.

When you display a drive, the "Stamped for M&P" attribute of the 4.3GB drive is specified as "OFF".

Regards, Wesley.
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

There is an M&P patch for that drive which can be found here http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/10468.html

This may solve your issue but the page itself says that it will not modify the smart information. Worth a shot i would imagine
Wesley W.D. Summers
Frequent Advisor

I have solved my own problem.

When you use the ACU to:
- MAKE the drive part of an array
- CHANGE the drive's array in any way
- SAVE the configuration change

The problem disappears! You can then reverse the change (Assuming it wasn't what you wanted in the first place)

The change I made was to make the drive a SPARE. I also used another drive (With the same problem - I had 3 of them) to create a new array (1 drive by itself). That solved the problem too.

Regards, Wesley.
Wesley W.D. Summers
Frequent Advisor

See my previous message.

Another technique is to make the drives part of an Array, then start the Diagnostics (I always use the Advanced version - Press CTRL+A when the Main Menu is displayed).

As the diagnostic software looks for everything, it will checks the SMART status, and whether Monitoring is turned on.

If these are OFF, they are turned ON for COMPAQ drives.

The diagnostics for older machines do NOT recognise HP equipment as COMPAQ compatible. In addition, nobody here has been able to tell me how to get over this problem!

So, BEWARE of what you buy to replace faulty drives!

Regards, Wesley.