1751980 Members
4680 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SMBIOS

Rebecca Eckendorf
Occasional Contributor

SMBIOS

I am trying to load software and I keep getting an error that I do not have SMBIOS loaded. Does anyone know what this is? I can't seem to find anything about it.

If I reboot my server and choose F10 it tells me that System Partition Information does not exist. Could these two things be linked?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rebecca
5 REPLIES 5
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: SMBIOS

Hi Rebecca,

Could you give us a little more information? Like what server model you are having a problem with, and possible a little more about SMBIOS since I personally have never heard of it.
Rebecca Eckendorf
Occasional Contributor

It is for a Proliant 3000 with Win2K.

I am trying to load IBM Director and keep getting the error I listed above. I do not know what SMBIOS is, that really is my question. The only thing I can find about it is that it's called System Management BIOS. (I think it could be linked to the regular BIOS.) It seems like one should be able to download it, but I can't find out where to do this from or if it's even possible for a Compaq server to accomplish this.

Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Ok, I'm not really sure what SMBIOS or IBM director are myself.

In your first message you said when you pressed F10 that there was no system partition. The Proliant 3000 should have a system partition. If the system previously had a system parition and it was just deleted by accident, you can just boot to a Smartstart 5.5 or earlier CD and chose "Update System Partition".

If you use your disk management software of choice (Like Disk Management in W2k or Disk administrator in NT4), you should notice a partition of about 30mb at the beginning of your first drive. If you don't see that there, it might be tricky getting the system partition on there since it was never done for some reason.

Now I have no idea if this is what is causing your SMBIOS error while installing your software, but it might be a start.
Steven Caul

SMBIOS is simply System Managed BIOS, Usually SMBIOS should be self loaded, im not sure why you would have this problem.
what software are you trying to load?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

SMBIOS is part of the ACPI specification. Look at your Director supported hardware list. While I don't expect to see any ProLiants on the list :), you probably only see IBM products released in the last couple of years...or in other words, after SMBIOS was added to ACPI. The PL3000 was designed and manufactured before this specification was even drafted. Don't know why IBM would want to do that, though.

...and, no, it has nothing to do with the system partition on your 3000.